• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thankmates with Pterophyllum scalare

Matteo ITA

Hi,

in my tank there is a couple of Pterophyllu scalare and now I would find other fish to put with them.
The tank has these characteristics:

160 liters/42,27 gal
90x40x50
pH:6,8
kH:3
gH:5
T: 25°C/77°F
And there is a couple of P.scalare wild form.

What tankmates do you suggest me?
I was thinking about: Couple P.scalare + couple of Apistogramma (probably borelli) + little Loricariidae.

Thanks,
Matteo :)

M.ramirezi

In my opinion, I wouldn't suggest Pterophyllum sp. at all for this tank size.
120x40x60 is a nice tank size to start with. Besides you're tank is quite small for these fish, they won't show their nice group behavior.

I suggest a harem Apistogramma sp., some Loricaria/Hemiloricaria and a group of Nannostomus sp.

If you already have the scalare, than I'd suggest a small group of Loricaria/Hemiloricaria and a group of Corydoras sp.

Matteo ITA

Thanks for the answer :)

I think I'll add a group of Corydoras and a smalla group of Loricaria/Hemiloricaria.
Now I try to find some Loricaria or Hemiloricaria: do you have any idea?

Matteo ITA

Hi,

I bought 7 Corydoras aeneus. Now I would add some loricariidae: what do you think about the genus Peckoltia?

Matteo ITA

Hi,

This is my tank. What do you think?

Acquario scalari.JPG

Matteo ITA

Hi :)

Thanks for the answer. The tank now in not completed. I have to add more branches on the floor.
I would like to add also some plants to cover the surface. In the past I had Pistia but I would change. I was thinking about Vallisneria or Hydrocotyle leucocephala (Hydrocotyle could grow also emersed). What do you think?

ps: In the tank there will be only 2 Scalare + 7/8 Corydoras (+1 Loricaride)

M.ramirezi

Personally I would add more wood.
Pterophyllum sp. love to 'hang' between branches, but also plants like Vallisneria sp. are very useful.

Also, a large piece of wood at the bottom of the tank would look nice too. Besides that, your Corydoras and Loricariidae would really appreciate it.

Matteo ITA

Hi sasikan :) It is correct: the tank is too small for a group of P.scalare. In the tank there will be only 2 Scalare + 7/8 Corydoras (+1 Loricaride).

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
In the past I had Pistia but I would change. I was thinking about Vallisneria or Hydrocotyle leucocephala (Hydrocotyle could grow also emersed). What do you think?
I've never had any luck with Vallisneria, possibly because my water is too soft. Hydrocotyle leucocephala is a good choice. I like Pistia as well, although if I had just one floater it would be Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum).

cheers Darrel

frothhelmet

I noticed the algae scraper you have. Why not get some ramshorn snails and perhaps some MTS too to do the work for you. Wont need the scraper ever again.

Matteo ITA

Hi :)

I remove 4 Pterophyllum scalare and I add the Hydrocotyle leucocepahala.
Now there are a pair of P. scalare and 6 Corydoras aeneus. I think I will not add loricaridi. I was thinking to add a group of (not too small) characins: what do you think?

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Peckoltia species are primarily aquatic insectivores. They don't eat algae if that is what you want with a pleco.
I have raised hundreds of Peckoltia compta(formerly L134/leopard frog).
Common Bushy Nose is my recommendation for an algae eating pleco which doesn't get too large.
You may keep both types of plecos. The Hemiloricaria spp are not much use at eating algae off the glass.
But you already have a lot of fish for the size of tank so take that into consideration.
If space allows and you plan to keep the Pterophyllum then you might consider one of the Laetacara spp.
I invite you to checkout www.finarama.com
It is an Angelfish forum and info site.

Matteo ITA

Hi, thanks for the advice :) My intent is to recreate a simil-biotope of P.scalare and not find algae eater.
Initially I wrote in this forum to call advice for a pair of Apisto. But in this tank is not possible. Thanks for the link of Angelfish forum :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….