• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Teleocichla Monogramma

Gillie

5 Year Member
A store near me has quite a few Teleocichla monogramma and this is the first time I have seen them and would like to pick up a pair, but I cannot find much info on where they come from or spawning information. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Surprisinlgy they seem to be pretty cheap(and plentiful) when they are on the lists. I've had two groups in the past. I have, unfortunately, not have much luck. They require warm, oxygen rich water (at least that is what I have read). That can be tricky. I had a nice tank going at 82 degrees with 3 sponge filters and a hang on filter and my air pump died and so did the fish. I assume the o2 level fell too low for them. Otherwise they ate well and were coloring up and staking out territory. I thought they might even breed. Next time I try them I'm going to dedicate a 30 G breeder with a lot of aeration (hang on, air and powerheads).
Let me know how your's do.
Steve

Gillie

5 Year Member
The only info I can find says they live in warm fast flowing water, so I was thinking that I would use a custom 45 gal(48x18x12) and use some large rocks, driftwood, and a sand/gravel mix for substrate. I was also thinking in order to keep the river effect I would place two sponge filters connected to two large powerheads at one end of the tank. Hopefully the filter set-up will work the way it should giving me proper filtration and flow so that the oxygen level stays high enough for them.

Benjamin Goh

Picked up a pair earlier this week, seems like a bonded pair too. Any advise on how to get them to breed?

Here are some pictures

In shop
null_zps81fef720.jpg

Holding tank - female
null_zps3ac1dae6.jpg

In the tank - male
null_zps5efe1bac.jpg

In the tank - female
null_zpsf79fee2c.jpg

Jeremy Basch

5 Year Member
A friend of mine just spawned his Teleocichla. They spawned in our local tap water which has a pH of 7.2-7.4 and a hardness of 250ppm. So they do not soft water to spawn. I have encouraged him to write an article and to take photos. The fry should now be around 3-4 weeks old. I will keep you posted.

Jeremy

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….