• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank Style for breeding

antwan

5 Year Member
Hey there, I have three small tanks with apistos in them that I breed. Just curious, what would you think the best way to have them is. I have them bare bottom at the moment with terracota pots and java moss in there. Would they prefer gravel and planted plants? or floating plants, no gravel...

Any thoughts and comments on what you use would be great, or what you think is best for the fish/fry.

Cheers.

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

For me silica sand for the substrate is a must, these guys are from the eartheater family and spend a lot of time sifting the substrate for food morsels.

I then have a selection of coconut caves and bogwood to give the necessary hidy holes.

For planting, amazon swords planted in terracota pots (only way I get them to grow) and some floating amazon frogbit.

Andrew

stormydax

5 Year Member
Dear Antwan,
Hi. Normally, I just have a layer of soil as the base. I will also have some plants ( no special preference) and most importanlty, i use a clay teapot. THe apisto hide in it and normally, thats where the eggs are found.

thank you

yours sincerely,
Storm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Argenis

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(