• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank mates for Ap Inkas

Chaos

I have a pair of Ap. Inkas and pair of AP. Elizabethea in a 75 gallon tank. So my problem here is the Inka male is very aggressive towards the Eliza so my question is what other apistos can I keep with the Inkas? What I be doing is moving the Eliza to their own 10 gallon breeding tank but I want another pair or dwarfs with the same aggressiveness. Any experience with these is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gerald

5 Year Member
How about a NON-Apisto, like Rams, Nanacara, Nanochromis, Laetacara, Keyholes, Anomalochromis, etc -- might seem less of a territorial threat to Mr. Inka.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I assume you are not interested in breeding, but this is a community tank. If so, then I would suggest non-cichlid species for the bottom. Many of the Loricarids and Callichtids should work well. If you really want another cichlid species then I suggest one of the larger species of Laetacara, Bujurquina, Biotodoma or other species of similar size and temperament.

Chaos

Thanks for the advices Gerald and Mike. I will definitely look into some of those species. I do kinda like the apistogrammas though. Yes the 75 gall is a community tank which right now I have 8 redline torpedo barbs, 3 l260, 3 l134 and pair 11 Cory's. Well I was searching and I guess Ap. Bitaeniatas are aggressive apistos so I might try looking at thoses. Thanks again guys.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Something to think about: nijsseni-group species (like your A. baenschi) form breeding pairs and "double up" on any fish they do not want in their territory. Most apistos do not form pairs. In most other apisto species, the female only protects her smaller territory by herself, if she can. The same is true for males. The females are not concerned about the males larger territory, except the part in which she lives. Females typically will not jointly defend the male's territory with him.

gerald

5 Year Member
A baenschi mom guarding fry can be a holy terror - like a little convict cichlid. Maybe the barred pattern makes her think she's supposed to act like one. Agree with Mike - pick tankmates that look & act the least like another Apisto; not another cave-dweller. I retract Nanacara and Nanochromis from my earlier list of suggestions. My baenschi lives with med-size Bettas (B. enisae) and emperor tetras.

Chaos

I appreciate both your feedbacks Gerald and Mike. So I went to the lfs the other day and looked for some dcs and to my eyes I went and picked up a pair of gorgeous Super Red Cockatoos. Man, I just could resist it. Now I've kept cockatoos before but these guys their colors were insane. Right now they're in my 5 gallon qt tank but looking really healthy. Thanks again guys and sorry to go against your advices.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Given the size of your tank and the existing community of fish I would not consider adding anymore fish.
Your Red line barbs need a lot of room and I am pretty sure that your Red lines are far from being adults and they need a great deal of space. Once they have reached their adult size or even only 2/3 of that, I am sure you will see why I recommend not adding anymore fish. They reach at least six inches, require currents, high dissolved oxygen levels and should not be kept to warm. About 76 to 80*F.
If all eight barbs live they will be the primary focus of the tank. They make for a beautiful display.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….