• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Talk about bad luck!

Si

5 Year Member
Got 6 a.borellii last sat which were suspected 3 pairs, now I have two left :(

Basically lost two mysteriously & just found what was left of them in the tank behind the wood. The other two (both males) i've had to cull after they became very listless & basically not able to sustain themselves in the tank.

The dominant male that has appeared was chasing both the other males, seemingly to death.

I'm a bit pissed as you can imagine but i'm sure that it was just bad stock that had been weakened before I got them - a couple of them did look a little rough when I picked them up.

Got replacements today from my lfs for the lost ones (FOC) but not apistos, tetras + extra cory.

The remaining pair which seem to be a male/female are coming out a lot lot more since I added the tetras so thats a good sign - well at least I gotta hang onto sommat.

Si

G

Gary W.

BAD LUCK

SI

I know the feeling of bad luck also.
Two weeks ago , the Seattle area had very bad wind strom, and lots of people lost power. My power went out while at work and when i got home i tried everything i could think of to keep my tanks warm.
I lost about 100 Blue Ram fry. (6 days free swimming) I was cryin' the blues.
I know the feeling of disappointment.

GARY W.

aspen

5 Year Member
si, we all have had some degree of that kind of luck. remember, normaly apistos are shipped, sometimes from a long way. this generally causes some degree of gill and/or fin damage, and they will need some time to recover. if you get fish from your lfs which are too 'new' your losses can be greater than if they have been acclimated for a while.

remember when getting sensitive new fish to check what kind of water they came from and try not to move them into a situation where the water is quite a bit softer or harder than what they are used to. do your best and that is all you can do.

my first question when buying fish is to ask how long the store has had them and how many they have lost so far. this can be a good guide if you can trust your source. if they have been in the store more than a week and losses have been low, this can be a good indication of what your 'luck' might be.

rick

Si

5 Year Member
Well theyve all died now, the final pair lasted another week then went exactly the same way as the others, listless and not really feeding.

Back to me cory's + co now :(

Si

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(