• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suitable tank mates for Apistogramma Agassizii biotope

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I recently acquired a 64 litre aquarium which I plan on setting up as a biotope housing a pair of apistogramma agassizii. It is only on day 2 of fishless cycling so have plenty of time to slowly set everything up. At the moment it is bare with just play pit sand I plan on adding some driftwood branches and would like just floating plants such as Amazon Frogbit. Will also be adding a peat ball and almond leaves to condition the water. In another tank I have a pair of agassizii which I plan to introduce the female first and give her a month to settle in and condition her before adding the male. Other fish I have available are 4 neon tetras and 5 serpae tetras. I would like as accurate a biotope as possible so I only want to add true tank mates found in the wild. Would love any suggestions at this point. Here's a pic of the tank in question, will post more as the project progresses :)
uploadfromtaptalk1369222263048.jpg

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I believe they are Double Reds and would like a community tank with a less is more feel. Will keep the 10 gallon as a fry tank on the off chance that they do spawn and I can rescue any.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
On day 10 of the cycle - Nitrite and Nitrates both off the scale..Ammonia starting to drop...not much longer to wait I hope! Added some bogwood and a small piece of floating water sprite to help things along..
20130529_203521.JPG

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Just a quick update - tank been up and running for a week or so now. Decided on a loose amazon theme rather than getting too strict about the accuracy of the biotope. Currently housing:
1 x Apistogramma Agassizii Female (my male died before the new tank was ready)
4 x Neon tetras
5 x Serpae tetras
2 x Bronze Corydoras

9181212275_bec394b392_o.JPG
Fish 022.JPG
Fish 049.JPG

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It is only on day 2 of fishless cycling so have plenty of time to slowly set everything up.........Nitrite and Nitrates both off the scale.
Personally I'm not an ammonia fan. You don't need ammonia, you just need plants. Lots more plants. I'd add some floaters and Java fern, and some structural leaves (PM me if you want some).

A tank with healthily growing plants and water movement for gas exchange has enormous potential for biological filtration. Combined plant and microbe systems are about x10 more efficient than microbial systems.

cheers Darrel

Tahir

A darker substrate helps them feel at home even more. Natural cave like formations out of wood and rocks further makes them comfortable, especially the females. Dense vegetation helps too. I have a Java fern, plus a few Crypto varieties also planted, including tropica and parva.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….