• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suitable food for D.Filamentosus?

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi

I have five wildcaught D. filamentosus. 2 males + 3 females. I keep them in a 100 liter tank together with 12 Corydoras Habrosus and 2 Ap. Borelli.

Ever since I bought them they have been very picky about the food. I always feed my apistos with frozen mysis (carved from a frozen block, so the piesces are very small)
Now and then I feed with living black and white mosquitolarvaes. And sometimes also with daphnias.
But while the apistos go crazy about this kind of food, the Filamentosus just chew on the piesces and spit, chew and spit and so on. I never see them eating in fact.
The only thing they really like is newly hatched BS! So once or twice a week I feed them properly with this.

What is your experiences with filamentosas? Do they always behave like this?

Best regards/ Per

Neil

Per,
My experience with filamentosa has been that they can be more difficult to get off of live food. That would be yet another difficulty with these fish. They will, however, eat frozen foods. If you really want them to eat the frozen, don't feed the BBS for a week. As soon as they are forced to eat the frozen, they probably will. the types you feed are good and should be readily accepted by them in the absense of their normal fare.
I have even gotten them to eat flake in the past, but it was more trouble than it was worth and just stuch to frozen.
Good luck,
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….