• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substitute for Carbon

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Has anyone used "Renew" filtration media in place of carbon for apisto tanks? It is sold by That Fish Place and many others probably and is said to act just like carbon but without the side effects. Thanks.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Is there any reason you are using the carbon to begin with? You really don't need it unless your water stinks or you need to remove medications from the water imho.

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Hi Lisa. To be honest, I thought everyone used carbon. Is it necessary for certain types of fish? I have kribensis, rams and cacatuoides and use whisper power filters which come with carbon as you know. What do you think? Tom

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
You can use it if you like, but to me it's mainly a waste of money unless like I said before you're removing meds or smells.

I haven't used carbon in any of my 30+ tanks for over 10 years.

It's one of those things you can decide to use or not. Either way isn't bad.

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Wow, that is really interesting. I guess I will try going without and also try some of that Renew I first mentioned. I appreciate the information and advice from an expert and a great forum to learn from. Tom

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
May I suggest that you replace the carbon in your filter bags with a biological media like ceramic rings. Let the 'bugs' do the work; they do it a lot cheaper.

When I was an assitant supervisor on a SuperFund toxic clean up site we tested 2 different methods for removing cancer causing chemical in ground water. One was 'pump & treat' using clay and top quality carbon. The other was 'pump & perc(ulate)' of the ground water over soil piles inoculated with special bacteria. The carbon worked best for quick removal, but was very expensives (tons of the best carbon available). The biological system took more time to digest the pollutants, but the bacterial method was self regenerating - and much less expensive.

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Mike, thanks for the tip about ceramic rings--I was a real estate attorney so have some knowledge of superfund sites but in my next life I am going all environmental. Thanks, Tom

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I use Purigen on my planted Hecklel Discus tanks. It is in a PhosBan reactor modified to retain the small spheres. I know I do not need it but it does seem to have some positive effects but these are subjective conclusions based only on my perception of the discus' reactions.
I have also used it in conjunction with spawning set ups. It is claimed that Purigen increases the redox potential. My guess this is a side effect of the removal dissolved organics. Some difficult fish have bred coincident to its use in the spawning tanks when water changes alone had failed. Still, all circumstantial evidence that it did anything.
Purigen is similar to Renew and initially more expensive but it also is easily rechargeable so the costs are not that high over time.
I repeat, this product or carbon are not essential to keeping aquarium water in good condition. I use it on only one tank out of my 25 and then more as an experiment.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I know I do not need it but it does seem to have some positive effects but these are subjective conclusions based only on my perception of the discus' reactions.
I have also used it in conjunction with spawning set ups.

I'd be really interested to know more about your opinions on this. I use Purigen in my nano tank to see if it will help with some algae by removing organics, but am intrigued by what you said to use it in my other tanks. I understand they are very subjective opinions but would be interested to hear them.

georgedv

5 Year Member
I have seen and ignored this thread since it went up, thinking "everyone uses carbon...what else is there?" I read it because it kept moving up. I wish I had read it earlier.

Can anybody provide more info on these products, Purigen, ceramic rings, and Renew. Are these brand names or items (like we say carbon)? I use Emperor external filters on all my 20, 29, 55, 75, 95 gal tanks. Only my 10 have sponge filters. Can these products be used w/Emperor ext. filters? Where do I find these things? Finally, any other info you find needed for some one that has never used such products.

Thank you

g

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have seen and ignored this thread since it went up, thinking "everyone uses carbon...what else is there?" I read it because it kept moving up. I wish I had read it earlier.

Can anybody provide more info on these products, Purigen, ceramic rings, and Renew. Are these brand names or items (like we say carbon)? I use Emperor external filters on all my 20, 29, 55, 75, 95 gal tanks. Only my 10 have sponge filters. Can these products be used w/Emperor ext. filters? Where do I find these things? Finally, any other info you find needed for some one that has never used such products.

Thank you

g

Seachem's website is very good for info on their products.
Purigen
Renew

And this is a link to some simple ceramic ring filter media.
Ceramic media - JBL Cermec
Ceramic media Close up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….