• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking Agassizii in 50 gallon

skoram

I'm in the process of setting up a new 180 Liter tank (approx. 48 gallons) and plan to stock it with Apistogramma agassizii (cf. "Tefe" if I can find some) and around 10 dwarf pencilfish. The tank dimensions are 90 x 45 x 45 cm (L*W*H) or 36 x 18 x 18 inches. I plan to decorate the tank with lots of floating plants, driftwood and a fairly thick layer of leaves over a fine sand substrate. I am also debating the addition of a riparium section.

My initial thought is to stock the tank with 5 agassizii - 2 males and 3 females. I would like to have more than 1 male to avoid "putting all my eggs (or milt, in this case) in one basket" but am not certain this is wise or feasible for this species/tank size combination.

Any feedback or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Here are some pics of the stand I made for the tank:

234329.jpg
234400.jpg

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
I would not do 2 males in a 36x18 [90x45], especially wilds/F1+. Only one male will breed & the other will just be beaten on/hiding. The only time I kept two Apisto males in a tank was my old Cacatuoides (domestic) colony in a 48x12x12in. My wild A. Bitaeniata couldn't stand each other in a 75 gal with 5+ inches of almond leaves. I can't remember my old A. agassizi doing any better.

Seems that the Trifasciata lineage likes to have very large territory footprints. I haven't kept and Reginae or Pertensis lineages, but I'd imagine it is similar...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….