• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sterilizing driftwood

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
A while back I found a really nice piece of driftwood in the San Fransisco river in Arizona. I left it in the back of my truck in the sun for a few weeks and it completley dried out. Should I still do something to sterilize it, and if so, how should I do it since it is too big to boil?
Thanks in advance,
Trevor

Terje

5 Year Member
Any bacterias that could be on the driftwood will be transfered to your tank if you put it in. Bacterias in generall don't die of freezing nor dry conditions. They just don't reproduce. When given the right environment, they will start to reproduce again. Most other microorganismes have probably died.
I think you should get it completly sterilized. Better safe than sorry. :wink:
It might be an option to steam it.

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
i put mine in a part bleach mixture, but mine was from a pet store. i just soaked mine for a few days in bleach then soaked it for a week

Randall

5 Year Member
Drift Wood

tjnelson44 said:
Thanks everybody for the tips. I think I may just soak it in a bleach solution then pour boiling water on it.

Hello Trevor,

My concern with using bleach is that the wood will absorb it like a sponge and then leech it out into your aquarium. Crimsonrain writes that he soaked his wood for a week after bleaching it. This probably addresses the potential leeching problem.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
Yeah, I soaked for a week while rinsing the bucket and putting fresh water. Change the water completely as often as possible. I actually soaked and then washed it in boiling water then stuck it back in clean water. It gets alot of the tannic acid out too. You dont need that much bleach, I heard about a 1:20 bleach/water ratio. Use about 1/2 cup-1 cup for a 5 gallon bucket. I think thats what i used.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….