• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting Blood Worm Colony

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Aprt from the issue of feeding bloodworm etc to Apistos, I wish to try and breed some anyway for my normal 5ft tank. My question is, can I buy a normal bag or blood worms and use this to start a new colony ? ideas and thoughts please ? I have enough mosquito larvae and bbs. cheers jk :cool:

Rod

5 Year Member
No....:biggrin:

Like mossie larva.......Bloodworms are the larva of a flying insect......stick a bucket of water outside and you will get them from time to time

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I do the same as Bigbird, and my "mosquito buckets" still produce bloodworms in the winter in the UK (although I'm not sure whether this is slow growing larvae over-wintering or that the chironomid midges are still active in milder spells). I have 3 or 4 buckets, filled with rain water and a good handfull of leaves, and I just add a handful of grass clippings when the water clears. I usually run the buckets for about 12 months before I re-start them.

I also innoulate them with Daphnia, it probably reduces the mosquito population (the feed on similar small planktonic food items), but it adds a bit of live food variety.

Bloodworms and Daphnia and/or Ostracods is a wholly compatible mix (bloodworms eat the decaying leaf fragments and biofilm)

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….