• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spare 2'

lurch1000

I had a planned project for a 2' tank for a few rare Loricariidae, but due to supply issues, the tank is now spare.

I've potentially got some what is thought to be A.viejita Gold, although could be A.macmasteri available to me soon, and was toying with the idea of setting up a tank for them.

Tough one for me, as being a Corydoras freak, I'm also wanting to shovel some in as well, but probably not the best of ideas!

Any suggestions and thoughts as to what to do with this 'ere tank would be appreciated. Looking at it from flora, fauna and decor perspectives really.

Thanks all.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I wouldn't include any catfish but a few Pencilfish like Nannostomus eques would be fine.
That is if breeding is your primary goal.

lurch1000

It's very difficult for me not to buy Catfish :)

I'm not intending it as a breeding project per se. I have no means of moving the fry to a grow out tank as I'd never get permission for another tank. If they do breed, then I'll be happy that I provided the right environment for them. Nannostomus sp. are a good idea, quite like them. I'll have a browse round and see what gives.

Need to try and make some caves and refuge out of natural materials. Got a plant pot and a resin cave in the other tank for the Panduro and cockatoos, not that they use them, and it's grating that it's not natural. Having said that, the plant pot is hidden, and the resin cave is the same colour as the sand. Would viejitas/(macmasteri) be happy in just leaf litter does anyone think?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Are pygmy cories (c. pygmaeus) incompatible with viejtas?
I've kept a shoal in a tank with breeding A. cacatuoides, and the cichlids mainly ignored them. The C. pygmaeus are only interested in very small food items, so won't eat fry, but they will compete with them for food items and use browsing surfaces (moss, dead leaves etc.).

If you want to see your C.pygmaeus become very active try feeding them some Micro or Banana worms.

cheers Darrel

lurch1000

I'm in two minds about pygmaeus, it's the only Cory that doesn't "do it" for me. Think it'll go one of two ways. Cory breeding tank or Apisto tank with a few dithers. It'll be lightly stocked whichever way I go. Mrs Lurch won't be too chuffed if I give her more tanks with daily water changes :)

lurch1000

Been a while, been a tad busy!

I've had to take the tough decision to shut down my 4' as I've been getting more work overseas and Mrs Lurch can't manage the amount of water that was needed to be changed in the 4'. So, quick plug, I have a male cockatoo going for grabs, 11 Panda Cory and a handful of Black Widow Tetra. Also a 4' Rio 240 for sale.

Back to topic, the 2' is staying and housing my Panduro pair. Still need to pop some more plants in and jigger the decor about, but they're a lovely pair. Got 4 Otos in there as well. As it's Mrs Lurch's tank and she wanted to keep the Panduro, to my delight, she's well on board with water changing while I'm away.

I'll try and get some photos soon.

lurch1000

So you hide over here sometimes do you?! :)

They appear to have been moving substrate around in their cave. Time to watch this space maybe?

mark france

Yeah came here to read about apistos before I got them :)

Sounds interesting, anything happened ?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

lurch1000

It's been a while. So the tank became a Panduro tank, all was well for a while, there was signs of nesting in the cave, piles of sand, lovely colours, then Mr killed Mrs. Ho hum. Ended up moving the male on and revamped the tank with my male cockatoo. Just had a sort out of some BBA, and now to go for a light Riparium look, and see what it evolves too. The male A.cavatuoides is doing well, responds to my approach to the tank by coming to me. He got quite big off Cory eggs and fry in the 4', and still enjoys his food. He does seem to have his mouth open a lot, ive heard of this being down to gill flukes before, but I can see no other indication, although admittedly I need to read up more. He also has 3 Otos in with him. I was meant to have come up with a proper plan for this tank, but I've not managed one yet. Suggestions welcome!! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….