• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

something to think about...

aspen

5 Year Member
i moved all of my fish around the other day, including moving my nice male cacatoides into a 15 gal with 2 females, some plants and 4 oto's. well the male died after only 1 day. what happened?? well there WAS a little tail sticking out of his mouth. the fish tried to eat an oto, and it got stuck and it died. of course i know that anything that will fit into a fish's mouth can be food, but i have never thought of this combination as being a problem. i know now, and won't do that again.

rick

Woodsy

5 Year Member
An extreme case of establishing territories maybe? I've certainly never heard of apistos eating other fish before. Well, there's a first time for everything....

aspen

5 Year Member
giant oto's? plecostomus?

i have never really thought about this matt. it was news to me. but there he was, dead, with a tail hanging out of his mouth. i couldn't pull the fish out, it was lodged in there real good.

i found a second dead oto, mangled, behind the plant. he had obviously tried this one first, and was able to spit it out. in my care (for 3 months or so), this fish has never been in with any tankmates, except females cac's. so much for that idea. now i need another male.

rick

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
No. Giant Ottos. of course that is their trade name. For all essential purposes that is exactly what it is. I'll try to find the scientific name for you. An otto species that grows larger than the rest. Mind you when I say large I am talking in the otto and dwarf cichlid frame of mind.
:lol:

ok I found it
Hypoptopoma inexspectatum
(Bu:439, Sf:56, Sa:91 Hypoptopoma inspectatum) "Giant Otocinclus"

This is how I found it on Fishbase.

Neil

Why would he need to feed more when his fish are so resourceful at food acquisition on their own!!! :roll:
In all my years of keeping Apistogramma species, I have never had one eat a fish that was too big and choke. They rarely eat fish, at least ones that are any bigger than fry-sized. But that is why these guys are so interesting. They are Cichlids! And come with most of the wonderful, if sometimes annoying, behaviors that cichlids are known for.
Sorry about your loss, but it was a fluke. You probably will never see that again, unless you have very small otos. Killing, maybe. Eating, doubtful.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….