• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Snails and eggs

Matthew Clark

5 Year Member
Some Malaysian Trumpet snails have proliferated in my tank(I guess that's one of the penalties o adding live plants. I wash new plants pretty throughly, but a few must've slipped by me. My question is this: do these snails pose a threat to eggs? Will they eat them? They are pretty small. If snails pose a threat to eggs, I will step up my eradication efforts.

Thanks!

Matthew Clark

mordor

5 Year Member
Any medication that contains copper will do but it can be harmful to living plants. Some fish eat snails, I did not have experience with this some people claim that many Botia species do that. I also heard that some labirynth fish like Betta like snail too.

Matthew Clark

5 Year Member
Mordor,

Perhaps I should clarify. I definetly know how to get rid of snails- the most benign solution in y mind is a long term salt bath, 3 tsp/gallon over 7 days. I have tried this before and it killed all my snails(well, not quite all, but it was a good 4 months before I ever saw a snail again). I don't want to fry my plants(which the slat did, and any other chemicals will probably do). A boita may be a viable option, but I'd probably have to remove my male while the botia is in there(albeit temporarly)as he is very territorial and reacts adversly to any bottom feeders I have added in the past. My real question is this: will snails eat apisto eggs?

Matthew Clark

Neil

Matthew,
I don't know about those snails specifically, but some snails do pose a threat to eggs and wigglers. The pair may not consider them a threat and not pay attention to them eating some (or at least damaging them). They sleep too. I doubt that there is a problem, but I would step up your eradication process if I were you. Eliminating possible problems before they become real problems may save you some grief! :( The more snails you get, the less there will be for the pair and you to watch out for. Good luck.
Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
from the top, a snail is 99% shell, and 1% little fleshy part that a fish has access to. i have never had snails, i hate them, but i cannot believe any apisto would let anything near their brood. snail, fish or anything- even you if it could stop you.

imo, the worst thing about snails and fry, is the fact that many parasites require intermediate hosts to reproduce. a snail will provide such a host, as they eat detritus and poop it back out obviously. this doesn't help in the cleanliness factor at all. as you can figure, a fry is very susceptible to parasites.

rick

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I just got done watching a male panduro chase all of his tankmates into the back corner of a 15g tank. The female is guarding about 35 eggs. Anything that moves gets the attention of the male. While all of this is going on, 2 ramshorn snails are munching the eggs. The female doesn't even acknowledge them, but she will assist the male in brief chases of other intruders...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….