• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick Keyhole

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
I was unable to get medcine in time, i would have needed to order ofline my lfs do not carry internal medication. I have been using melafix to treat some torn fins of a ram i had, so im assuming other external parasites were killed in the process. I am just hoping he will die soon so he wont be suffering,I want to keep this fish, i think that they werent at the lfs long enough, they wont hold them longer than 24 hrs. I will speak to the manager and talk to them about keeping a qurantine tank for at least 4-5 days before i purchase any. does that sound like a good start? and then i will get the Hex-a-mit for future use.

Randall

5 Year Member
Melafix

Dear Rachel,

Sorry to hear about your ailing fish.

Please understand that Melafix is not a medicine per se and does absolutely nothing to parasites, be they internal or external. Melafix contains an herbal ingredient (a kind of tea) that possesses antibacterial properties. It's usually used for minor bacterial infections and as a preventive in the presence of sores, frayed fins, minor lacerations, etc.

Reading the history on this thread, it seems to me that you purchased fish from your LFR with an intestinal parasitic infection that is highly contagious and lethal. If I were in your position, I'd let my LFR know about it in no uncertain terms. You may be doing others who would buy these fish a great service.

If you need to take your fish out of its misery. Chilling it is considered a humane method. Fill half of a plastic container with ice and half with cool tap water. Wait until the water becomes ice cold and submerge your fish in it. The fish surcombs almost immediately and does not suffer.

When all is said and done, it is a very good idea to treat your tank with metronidazole to prevent additional infections.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
Randall,
I contacted my lfs on numerous occasions with the ailments i described to you they told me not to medicate that they were stressed. i have no access to metronidazole at any of my lfs. Would you be willing mail some to me?(id pay, of course) I belive i will put him out of his misery and contact my lfs. I would still like to keep this fish, i know my water parameters were not to blame. Im going to demand that the LFS quarentine some for me, i have no tanks to quarantine them myself. thank you for all of your helpful advice.
Rachel

Randall

5 Year Member
Metronidazole

Hello Rachel,

Any LFS can get some metronidazole through any major US-based distributor. Aquatronics has a good brand. As for your current LFS, perhaps a more knowledgable one is in order.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
Randall,
I suppose so. I will ask them to order it for me. Petsmart will not order anyhting for me, Ill see what Petco will do. Its a bummer because i never have fish die from Petsmart and only one fish I have bought from Petco survived. :(
Rachel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….