I've had a pair of Baenschi cichlids for about 6 months now and all was going well when I noticed that one had what looked like a mole on its face. I think its the male. He seemed to be less active and more timid with eating.
I was told to treat with Melafix for two weeks but he didn't really improve. At the base of the fin on the same side it looked a bit similar as well and there seemed to be a few small transparent blisters on the mole.
So after doing a water change and running with a charcoal filter for 24 hours I treated with aquarium salts and anti internal bacterial medicine but two days in he is suddenly very pale and very weak, swimming lopsided and trying to wedge himself under stuff to stop him floating off. His gill on the side of the injury is very inflamed and he seems to push this side against the ground and clamp the fin to his side. He was also gasping lots so I put in an air stone in. The female seems to be hassling him too so in an attempt to get him away from the stress of that I've put him in a breeding trap.
I was advised to up the aquarium salts and do a big water change so I have done this and expected him to die but two days later he seems no better but still struggling on.
I am absolutely besides myself what to do about him as his suffering is very apparent.
If anyone has any advice this would be very welcome.
I was told to treat with Melafix for two weeks but he didn't really improve. At the base of the fin on the same side it looked a bit similar as well and there seemed to be a few small transparent blisters on the mole.
So after doing a water change and running with a charcoal filter for 24 hours I treated with aquarium salts and anti internal bacterial medicine but two days in he is suddenly very pale and very weak, swimming lopsided and trying to wedge himself under stuff to stop him floating off. His gill on the side of the injury is very inflamed and he seems to push this side against the ground and clamp the fin to his side. He was also gasping lots so I put in an air stone in. The female seems to be hassling him too so in an attempt to get him away from the stress of that I've put him in a breeding trap.
I was advised to up the aquarium salts and do a big water change so I have done this and expected him to die but two days later he seems no better but still struggling on.
I am absolutely besides myself what to do about him as his suffering is very apparent.
If anyone has any advice this would be very welcome.