• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Showing off to female or aggression towards sneaker male?

Stripes

Hi! I recently got a pair of A. Viejita (actually A. Macmasteri) and I can’t tell if the male is showing of to a female or if that female is a sneaker male and the dominant male is chasing him off. The dominant male will swim up to the smaller apisto and flare his fins and chase the smaller one similar to courtship behavior. I can’t tell if the smaller apisto is a male or female though. Can one of you more experienced keepers tell me what is happening? The first pic is dominant male and the second is of the smaller fish. Thank you for your time.
IMG_1706.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1708.jpeg
    IMG_1708.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

Stripes

I got some better pictures. I managed to catch the dominant male showing off/harassing the smaller fish.

Attachments

• IMG_1714.jpeg
    IMG_1714.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1715.jpeg
    IMG_1715.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1717.jpeg
    IMG_1717.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 29

Stripes

Also, I don’t know why but the images look very pixelated and blurry in the preview but if you click on them they look fine.

MacZ

Problem is, as many other domestic Apistogramma, the domestic variants of A. macmasteri also have much more colourful females than the wild type. So it is possible the less colourful fish is a female. In any case, though: If it is a female, she's not ready to breed. Obvious by the lack of bright yellow colouration. This means the male would not display to initce spawning, but try to get her out of his territory, just as he would with another male.

Stripes

Problem is, as many other domestic Apistogramma, the domestic variants of A. macmasteri also have much more colourful females than the wild type. So it is possible the less colourful fish is a female. In any case, though: If it is a female, she's not ready to breed. Obvious by the lack of bright yellow colouration. This means the male would not display to initce spawning, but try to get her out of his territory, just as he would with another male.
Ok, well I guess I will find out sooner or later when they decide to spawn. Thanks for the info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macmasterman

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(