• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shipping bag poll #2 - small bag width:length ratio

Which w:l ratio do you prefer in a small shipping bag?

• 1:1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1:2

• 1:2.5

• 1:3

• 1:3.5

• 1:4

• Total voters

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D

OK... we could make a poll that listed about 50 different bag sizes. Here is an idea... let's think about a ratio of bag width to bag length.

For example:
A 6"x6" bag has a w:l ratio of 1:1.
A 6"x12" bag has a ratio of 1:2.
A 6"x18" bag has a ratio of 1:3.

For this poll, let's consider only what we would use to ship one 2" fish, or a group of 6 small (1/2") fry. Measure your favorite bag, calculate the ratio and pick that option (or whichever is closest).

We are looking for the ratio here. When we get the results I will post a poll of the options near that ratio with various widths and lengths. I would consider any bag less than 8 inches wide a small bag.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
my favorite bag is 8x22....i guess for just one fish, I might use something smaller. I like to pack fish light, so it wouldn't be any smaller than 6x12

Rich

Neil

Depending on the shipping service one uses, it is way more cost-effective to use smaller bags. If we are talking about 1 - 2" fish, a 6x12 bag is the max. Even for a 3-day ship. If the proper precautions are taken (not feeding beforehand and clean water), apistos are great shippers. Some Dwarf Cichlids are not quite as good, but can still handle that situation. As far as the bags length, there is really no reason to have more air (1/3 water, 2/3 air) than can be put into a bag that is twice as long.
Neil

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
My preference for long bags has more to do with my big clumsy hands. I have a hard time closing on shorter bags and keeping enough air in there.

farm41

5 Year Member
A pair of scissors will make any long bag short. :idea: But, you can't make a short bag long. :wink:

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
8O Profound... I never thought of it like that.

:D The truth is.. I am a knotter... yes it is true. :oops: I hate rubber bands. Bands break, knots don't. It is easier to tie a knot with a long bag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….