• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sexing trifasciata

farm41

5 Year Member
I bought what was supposed to be a pair of A. trifasciata last weekend. I wonder if the female is really an immature male. Do the females have any metalic blue coloring on them? This one does, and the 3rd, 4th, and 5th dorsal spines are a little higher than the rest.

Neil

farm41,
The problem with trifasciata is that more mature females often look like immature males. Aside from the overall color, the male will have more facial spotting. Female do get dorsal extensions, but not as high as the male. One good thing to look for is the ventral fin extension. Usually the males has a longer filament off of the ventral and the female has a shorter ventral (sometimes with a black front edge).
This is a tough fish to sex until the male becomes a real He-man. Good luck.
Neil

farm41

5 Year Member
I went back to the lfs and picked out 2 more trifasciata females, I hope, and split the other 2 up. So now I have 4 fish in 2 tanks and maybe I will have a better chance at getting a pair.

Both the fish I picked out have shorter ventrals with black edges, and when they got pushed around in the tank getting caught and lost their color it looked like they had a lateral spot. I don't see it now though.

Oh, and the first one I was having trouble sexing has metallic blue just above the lateral band from head to tail. That's why I was so confused and bought 2 more. I guess I'll find out, sooner or later.

farm41

5 Year Member
I'm down to 3 now, I came home yesterday and found one of the new ones dead. It didn't look like they were getting along to good. How can I get this species to pair up?

How many should I get to try and get a pair?

Neil

If these fish are from a breeder, there is always a little higher chance that they are heavily favoring on sex. Normally, you get 6 and have a reasonable chance at a pair, but don't throw good money after bad. Wait for a while and see what happens. If you have all one sex and really like the fish, I can probably get you the other somehow.

farm41

5 Year Member
I'm starting to think they were all males, I think I can see some difference at the lfs, but then I get them home and they act like all males.

It makes sense now what you said about getting 6 fish to start with. I might try some of your fish. What size tank would you put 6 apisto's in to see what pairs up?

farm41

5 Year Member
I went back to my lfs and told about the sexing problem, he gave me 3 more trifasciata and told me to keep what pairs up and bring back what I don't want. So, I'm going to give it one more try before I look elsewhere.

Thanks Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….