• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Nanochromis parilus

Andre

5 Year Member
Hi guys

I bought a bunch of N. parilus a while back and noticed one had a breeding tube visible this evening. I am used to angels and it looked like a male?

How do you guys determine the gender of these fish?

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Females are smaller and have a much larger, rounded belly, with a pink flush. Gravid females will look like they swallowed a marble.

I've never seen the extended breeding tube on a male Nanochromis. Females will show a prominent ovipositor for a couple of days before they spawn.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Almost every “mature†female N. parilus will have a distended breeding tube regardless of being about to spawn or not. I’ve found that the distended "breeding tube" or ovipositor is one of the easiest and most reliable visual comparisons to use when attempting to determine the sex of even young, around ¾â€Â-1â€Â, N. parilus. retro_gk is right, gravid females do look like they swallowed a marble and can be a very impressive sight to behold.

So, to answer your question:

Females will show a distinct ovipositor and also become quit round in the belly

Males will never show an ovipositor and remain slim and elongated

Jeff

Andre

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. Mine are around 8cm Total length and are currently sharing a tank. I will try to move the female to a breeding tank with one of the big slender ones and see what happens

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….