• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing candidi

BeastMaster

5 Year Member
Lucky enough to pick up a pair of T candidi from a lfs here in Honolulu. After they have settled down in their tank, questioning if I have a pair? No aggression observed between these individuals & they share a tank w/ school of Pristella tetras & a couple of Rineloricaria. So, do I have a pair?
77E4E8F7-BCC0-4069-BAFD-F4D2234E4A87.jpeg

male or female?
9F0FA602-BF94-4C36-A633-32B824057E77.jpeg

female or male?
1C987A0C-B4A2-4A4F-B165-EDC6AEAF2BA2.jpeg

Which sex on top?

BeastMaster

5 Year Member
Hi Mike, thanks for responding. This pair? reside in a subdued lighting tank & majority of the time is spent in the rear, rarely coming into frontal view.
The smaller fish is about an inch long, has a rounder tail & the lateral band is thinner, especially near the tail base.
The larger fish is only slightly longer, less than 1 1/4”. The larger fish has a lateral band that is thicker in width almost covering the caudal peduncle & the tail (which is slightly damaged) appears to be growing back more to a bunt point.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Based on coloration and tail shape, it looks like a pair. Females won't have the elongated spade tail like the first image you posted (assuming that the tail is what I'm seeing, vs some similar-colored part of sediment). It also looks like the top image has more color near the dorsal, but that could change on mood, etc. If the one in the second image starts developing a longer tail, it could be a male, but I'd say pair for now.

BeastMaster

5 Year Member
Based on coloration and tail shape, it looks like a pair. Females won't have the elongated spade tail like the first image you posted (assuming that the tail is what I'm seeing, vs some similar-colored part of sediment). It also looks like the top image has more color near the dorsal, but that could change on mood, etc. If the one in the second image starts developing a longer tail, it could be a male, but I'd say pair for now.
Thanks Drayden. I know the pics are difficult to use for ID but, visibility of these guys right now is rare. Hopefully in time they will become more comfortable in their new surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
At this size they are just sexing out. The smaller one could be a female, or a male that is still immature. Another month of growing and you should be able to tell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….