• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sex determination in A. cacadouoides

Jason

5 Year Member
Does anyone know at which stage of development is sex determined in Apistos? Does it happen when they are eggs or later?
Here is why I'm asking: a few months ago my cacs spawned and the young ones were 100% females. They had spawned again and after I saw the young fish swimming I added a lot of peat moss to the filter, to avoid having exclusively females. Either I overdid it, or there was a different factor involved, because now I have close to 100% of males. If it is the result of adding the peat moss, the sex may be determined more than two weeks after the conception.
Interesting, isn't it? Or even more than that: fascinating.
:D Jason :D

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well Jason you are on the right track but you are drawing some wrong conclusions. Apisto sex is determined after they hatch and then through the next week or so. Ph and Temperature are the main determining factors. Your fish couldnt have been any sex at birth, it was determined later. Temperature is the main determining factor with Ph coming in second. Romers book has a larger explanation of this along with some tables

Neil

Jason,
I usually try to control the parms 4 up to 4 weeks after breeding, because I think that gender determination may be affected a little longer than 2 weeks. I don't know foor sure, but I like to be safe in this regard.
Neil

Jason

5 Year Member
Thank you,
I thought that altough the cacs are sexless at the conception, the determination of their future must take place very soon after. Somehow this is easier to imagine to a member of a species that doesn't have room for any doubt in this matter...
I do not have the Romer's book Apistodave is referring to, I will have to find a copy soon as it must be a great book if such details are discussed there.
Jason :D

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Romers Atlas

Hi Jason,

I looked for this book locally. The cheapest I found was for $59.99 plus tax at Barnes & Noble.

Anyhow, Randall refered me to this website of the Apistogramma Study Group. (Thank you Randall!) They offer the Romer Atlas for $49 when purchased with a $17 one year membership.

Total was $66, so for roughly $5 more than the local price of the book, I also got a one year membership to ASG, which I was planning to join anyhow! 8) I haven't received my book yet, (it's only been about 3 weeks) But I'm expecting it anyday now.

Here is a shortcut link to that website: http://www.apisto.com/

Michael

Scooter

5 Year Member
Another option on the Romer book is to order it from Mike Schadle at [email protected]. He's got it for $49.00. I've bought books from him before and I believe he usually has a booth at the ACA every year (at least he did last year).

radiodug

5 Year Member
I can get it locally for 49.00 as well if someone needs a copy, should me a reply. Shipping is gonna be probably about 5 bucks. its over 1400 pages after all. Page 155 lists that sexing takes place in the first 25 days after spawning for most apistogramma species.

Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….