• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Several Apistos Questions

N

Nuno Teixeira

Hi there.

I just found you forum and decided to make a thread because i have some questions.

I have a pair of apistogrammas cacatuoides on a 10G aquarium. They laid eges one time but the eges disapeard the next day probably due to strees from the parents.

I now have a 50G aquarium and i would like to now what dwarf cichlid can i put in there that are compatible with my cacas.

The setup of the new aquarium is as this

Filter eheim 2213, regular 2x36w light ( soon to change ), ph 6.6, temp 97f.

The rest of the water parameters are ok.

I'm thinking of keapping the cacas on the 10G aquarium with a small cleanning crew to help them spawn.

What do you think?

Please help.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Caca is very easy to breed and with the size of your tank, i think you could keep quite a number of apistos. Any apisto of a similar size as your caca can be kept together in your 50G tank. :)

N

Nuno Teixeira

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a rule for the number of apistos an aquarium can take??

how many couples can i put in it??

Zapisto

5 Year Member
apisto is bottom fish
so for me , i calculate number of apisto i can put in a tank , with his groud surface , not with the volume of tank like with tetra and other column water fish.

and no rules is 100% true, a lots of factors can impact.

KenL

5 Year Member
The temperature is 97f (@35C)? I am surprised they are still alive.

If you wish to breed the cacs I would leave them in the 10g (as long as their are no other fish), they may have just failed at the first attempt. If you think the famle is threatened by the male, remove him after spawning.

A

angelover98

Cories in a 125 with a few Apistos?

Hello Apisto lovers. Great Thread. I too am planning a 125 gallon S.A. tank featuring Apistos. Can I have a shoal of Cories with a few pair of Apistos. How many species, number of pairs??
Will the Apistos tear up the cories?
My tank floor measures 72 inches long X 18 inches wide.
I have lots of big driftwood pieces, rocks, and plant.

mseguin

5 Year Member
Usually cories are fine with Apistos, although lately my panduros suddenly started hating the cories and attacking them so bad I had to move the cories, and they weren't even breeding. But the rest of the time any of my apistos ignore bottom feeders of all kind

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Over the years there have been reports that apistos defending fry will attack the only vulnerable part of a cory's body - the eyes. You might end up with a few one-eyed or eyeless corys. In your size tank I would think that there would be less problems since the corys can easily move out of the apistos' territories.

Randall

5 Year Member
Temperature for Apistogramma spp.

Helllo Nuno,

If your water is really 97F (36C), as Ken suggests, it is much too hot! 78F (25C) would be much better for your fish.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(