• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

seting up a viejita tank

Z

zorella

hi,
I want to change my current fish for a pair of viejita's. I currently have two 5cm gouramies (spelling?), 1 male and 1 female guppy, 1 penguin tetra, 1 black neon tetra and three neon tetras (the ones with a blue neon stripe). I know that the gouramies will soon out grow the tank (40liters), but which of the tetras would get along with a pair of viejitas?

Also I live in Austalia and I'm having troube finding viejitas, let alone someone that has heard of them and I am not keen on importing them on my own :) Does anyone heard know where i could find a viejita in Aust or how much a pair of veijita's would cost?

aspen

5 Year Member
hi zorella. what is there about viejitas spec that you like? there are lots of apistos and you seem hooked on them. you should know that there are 3 morphs and the morph 2 i believe is the most colourful, while the other 2 are quite drab. i had a pair in my community tank for a while, and they were quite a bit more agressive than my rams, borellis and my cacatuoides. in fact when the female died and i pulled the male, all was well after.

good luck, rick

Neil

zorella,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Most tetras will be fine with viejitas (or most apistos for that matter).
As far as getting some in Australia, I know that there are quite a few Dwarf keepers there. Many have contacted me over the past few years, but I am not able to ship there. The have many species, so they must be getting them from somewhere.
There is even a couple of members of this forum in Australia. You could go to the member section and find them and then write some emails or PM's, as I don't know how often they view the forum. There is even a web-site that deals with Dwarfs in Australia, but I can't recall what it is now. Google search!
Viejitas are not common, but they are available more now than they used to be, so you may be able to find them. But, as aspen said, pay attention to the kind that you are getting because some are very bland and some are drop-dead beautiful. Good luck!
Neil

Z

zorella

hooked on viejitas

Well I was looking online for a nice small fish that would go in my nice small tank. I saw a photos of a male (red) viejita and I fell in love with him :) So now I'm just trying to find my own little viejita!

Neil

zorella,
Here's the info I said I would try and find.

Also I live in Austalia and I'm having troube finding viejitas, let alone someone that has heard of them and I am not keen on importing them on my own :) Does anyone heard know where i could find a viejita in Aust or how much a pair of veijita's would cost?

This is a link to The Dwarf Cichlid Tank Discussion Board. I bet that you can find someone to help you here.

http://pub39.ezboard.com/bthecichlidtank

Good Luck! Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(