• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Saying Helloooo!

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Hi,

Thought I'd say "Hello!," before posting many questions.

I've been very into keeping planted tanks for a few years now. I have a half dozen planted tanks of various sizes. In the last year I've really taken quite an interest in the Dwarf Cichlids. In fact, I think I'm in LOVE! :biggrin: So far I've kept a couple different species in w/ my community planted tanks.

I had a pair of Apistogramma agassizzii red tail. The pair did lay several batches of eggs but they never made it past three nights. Too many predators I'm sure. Although my goal wasn't to breed them but learn and see if I could manage some more challenging fish (besides tetras, barbs, cories etc., etc.) I was still very proud of the Mama and please they liked my tank.

I also have a pair of Anomalochromis thomasi. I've had these about nine months and now they are mature and have spawned twice. These guys are a strong and determined couple. Each time they've gotten the fry to the free swimming stage and paraded them around the tank for at least five days. Then they get picked off. This 75g tank has Congo tetras, Rummynose tetras and Sparkling Dwarf gouramis too. However I am totally amazed that I saw these great parents working as a team.

I'm now completely enamored by these very interesting fish. I am working to move some of my current tanks and free-up the space for a dedicated tank rack. I am now offically crazy as my half dozen tanks are doubling here quickly :eek:! However one of my mottos is to "GO for it! " I figure life is too short and precious (even precarious), not to do those thing which you enjoy and are passionate about.

For over a year I hunted locally for some A. borelli...no luck. However, I did come across some Laetacara curviceps. After learning they are a good beginer dwarf, I purchased a group of seven. I'm hoping I'll end up with at least one pair. They really keep their eye's on me when I'm in the room and get silly-crazy at dinner time!

I know this is long-winded, but since I'm talking...may as well cover what my current cichlid game plan is. I recently mail-ordered the A. borellii opal from Ryan at TwoFishGuyz because I saw some stunning photos of Pelvicachromis taeniatus. Really lusting....wanted....got them too. Ryan had both kind, he was great to deal with; and I couldn't be happier with the fish.

So, that makes five that I'm hoping to be successfully keeping. Of course, I've been doing tons and tons of online research and reading. So, thanks for the very informative forum.

Thanks & Hi,
Kate P.

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Hi Katie P,
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are hooked... head over heels...and falling fast! There are lots of experts here so don't be afraid to ask about breeding particular species. Hope you will have as much fun as the rest of us!

Cathy

firetank

5 Year Member
welcome to the forum!!

everyone here is a confirmed cichlidophile so you are in good company;

with the thomasi i would suspect the rummynose as the predacious ones....
excellent fish though..

keep us informed how things get on!!

craig :)

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello Kate,

Welcome to the Apisto world of fun and colour. Once you get started, then you are hooked. Especially in planted tanks, do they add colour and joy. Hope you get them breeding soon, so you can watch them growing up.
cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….