• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand

Nick S.

5 Year Member
fishgeek said:
pool filter sand would seem the most appropriate , basically inert silica or such is a good safe sand to use

I use playground sand from the local building supply stores, it is dirt cheap and is inert silica sand. It is also available in different grits from 1mm to 5mm at a cost starting at about $4.50 for a 50 lb bag. Also the plants root well in it.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Technically "sand" is defined by size (0.2 - 2 mm) not composition. If the sand has nothing that can leach out and affect the water or fish, it should be OK.

Demuxx

5 Year Member
dont want to use aquarium sand cause is so expensive when i can get 50pounds of pool sand for $5.00 or less

AdamT

5 Year Member
I have come to like a bed of sand / gravel that has some substance for my fishtanks. The most recent tank I set up has about an inch of play sand covered by maybe 4 inches of fine gravel. Smaller tanks have just play sand. The sand has done fine for me. Remember, if you try to layer, that larger stuff rises to the top, smaller stuff sinks to the bottom!

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
I use the Sand - All-Purpose, from Quikcrete. A little larger grain than a playsand, and it cleans up better. The plants seem to do quite well in it as well.

One note with any sand, clean, clean and more clean, and when you think you are done, clean a bit more for good measure.

S

seastar0328

I like the pool filter sand, the larger grains and virtually dust free qualities make it a great quickly cleaned substrate for my less intense planted tanks. If you are looking to layer your substrates however, since the sand has no value to the plants other than to give them something to root into, you will be looking at some mixing no matter how hard you try to keep the layers apart. Anything available out there for the plants seems to be black or red. So if you were to layer the sand on top of some laterite, flourite, or eco complete (though I don't know why you'd want to, I think the eco rocks), you'd be looking at a speckled effect. But even supernaturals peace river rock I think it's called is small enough to be considered a sandy substrate, easy for the small fish to dig through, and has a nice natural look to it if you were going to mix your sand with some laterite or something for your plants.

apistoireland

5 Year Member
Any sand will do as long as it's inert. Get some hydrochloric acid and poor it over the sand you intend to use. If it fizzles it contains hardness builders so don't use it. If it doesn't fizzle it's Ok to use

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re to post

Check your lokal masonary supply houses you can get a 80-100 lb sack of sand for about $5-$7 in grades from 1-10 1 being smallest also can get what bricklayers and masons call sugar sand it is white and very fine. all are aquarium safe as long as the are just sand not cocncrete mixes. Sure beats $20- $30 at fish store for 25lb bag there is one right next dorr to my LFS they say want any gravel I say not at your price I can get 4 times for 1/4 of your price next door lol I learned of rock and gravel supply places from when i was a pool builder and stone mason.
Sincerely Curtis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….