• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand Substrate Raising PH and Hardness

svtcanuk

5 Year Member
I have a 20 gallon tank set up to hopefully breed some A. Panduro. My problem is that the sand I used for the substrate very gradually raises the PH and hardness. Will the calcium carbonate or whatever is in the sand causing this eventually exhaust itself or better yet is there a way to neutralize it by treating the sand with an acid?

Rod

5 Year Member
If you treat calcium carbonate with acid.....it will dissolve....no sand

You have 2 options....:biggrin:

Change the substrate to something that is neutral

or

Keep shelldwellers....they like hard alkaline water

Hassles

5 Year Member
Sands Ain't Sands

Do a little research on sand amd you'll come to realise thet there exists a few different types of sand, some will not effect your water while others will. Get yourself something that will not and enjoy your Apistos ;-)

take care

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Try sand blasting white quartzite sand. It is chemically inert and well suited to Apistogramma spp needs. It is also very cheap.

I also use a thin layer of FloraBase in most of my tanks and it does not seem to alter water chemistry but it is a little coarse grained and soft material. I have had no trouble breeding Apistogramma using it.

You can determine whether your sand contains any cacalreous materials by adding a few drops of Muriatic Acid(diluted Hydrochloric Acid) on a small sample of dried sand. If it fizzes it will also raise hardness and pH. You may also try vinegar and get the same reaction if the material is highly calcareous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….