• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Removing Fry

jowens

5 Year Member
What's the best way to remove Apisto fry from a community tank so they can be placed in a grow-out tank?

Is it a better idea to remove the eggs before they hatch?

R

Rob&Kathy

remove eggs or fry..

I remove the parents to a different tank after the fry have hatched.. Its alot easier. I keep a pr of Apistos. in a 10 gal tank with half a cocnut shell for spawning. I also keep alot of java moss in there for the fry. They are vry tiny when they first hatch so I take no chances. Its alot easier to move the parents to a tank with the same water & temp parameters. Hope this helps

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I do just the opposite of Rob&Kathy. I have been letting the parents hatch them, then as they are wiggling around in the bottom of the pot, I pull the pot with the little ones in there. Easier than tryign to track them down as free swimmers. The only reaso I don't pull the parents is they are usually not the only pair in any given tank. I'd have to pull 2 or 3 pairs and find new homes for them. So, it is easier for me to pull the wigglers if I am pulling fry.

R

Rob&Kathy

removing parents

We don't remove the parents until the second week after they hatch. We watch as the female cares for the fry. Our female is very caring and watchful over her fry. But by the 2nd week we remove both her and the father to give the fry more room to grow and feed them golden pearls rotifer. Moving up to bbs when they are big enough to eat them. which doesn't take that long. If I wasn't clear in the previous post, I am sorry.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….