• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

red topfin on p.pulcher?

samuel

hey guys I am new to the forums. I found this website after noticing that my male kribensis has a full orange/red topfin and not the more regular half bluish half orange topfin. Is there any significance to this or a variety that i am unaware of? The offspring, so far I only have 1 male with a matching topfin. All others appear to have the dual color topfin. Is this just a recessive gene or something? anyways here are some pics.
also are more eyespots supposed to come with age? my guy is developing a 3rd now!! :D

IMG_20120430_164850.jpg

IMG_20120601_104930.jpg

IMG_20120601_104949.jpg

thanks for the help guys!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
P. pulcher have a lot of natural variation to them. Some of it is due to different collection locations/populations and some is just part of the diverse genetics of the fish. I have a wild caught male pulcher that also shows a lot of red/red -orange in his dorsal. It's a trait that I personally like and is the reason I selected him for breeding. There is a tank starin of P. pulcher (super red) that was around, and might still be, were the nicest males in a given batch would show a HUGE number of ocelli (eye spots) in their dorsal fin along with nice dark rich red hues. But only a few males in a batch of fry would have these traits. The rest would show lesser amouts of red and ocelli all the way down to "normal" wild type traits.

samuel

Does anyone know if this coloration was more available in the past/ bred out or if its a new coloration coming in? Or do you guys think its more prevalent in WC males rather than CB? i had another dual color dorsal fin male that got bloat from the same batch in the LFS. Not sure if WC is more likely to get bloat or not. But this male was his replacement. Anyways I think im planning on keeping the orange fin in my breeding projects. thanks

__CAV__

I believe i might have a breeding pair of the pelvicachromis pulcher "super red", and a tank load of fry
i brought them from a QFAS club auction as Pelvicachromis pulcher"red",

the male has red colouring from his chin all the way down his belly, with occelli on his caudal and dorsal fin,
the edge of the dorsal fin also has a red/orange edging to it as well.

there is a few juvenlie males, that have heaps more occeli on their caudal fins than usual, the males dont seem to have as stong a red colouration down their bellys as the adult male, i think this may have something to do with the fact that they still share the same tank as their parents (100cx60cmx60cm).

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow (they are guarding another batch of eggs at the current time) and i'll post them up.

samuel

Hey guys who has any information on super red kirbensis and how they are bred?
This topic was originally formed because i noticed my adult male, and the biggest offspring that i had, both had a orange upper fin instead of blue/orange.
Now, on closer inspection, i have noticed that this offspring, has super red genetics! he is the only male showing these signs so far, but he has red gillplates and red throat all the way back to his belly. I couldnt believe my eyes when i noticed this, thought something was possibly wrong since i didnt start with super reds.
But does anyone know more on the subject/ have any light they could shed on the subject if i was trying to breed the super red gene and express it more? thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….