• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red Tiger Lotus

2la

5 Year Member
Rich and/or supplemented substrate (it is a VERY heavy root feeder), good level of iron, and a good amount of light (~2.5W/gal and up).

2la

5 Year Member
Yes, I'd recommend CO2 with the higher light levels. You can easily get by with DIY CO2, though. However, I've seen tanks running about 2W/gal and no CO2 with very healthy red lotuses. The example I'm thinking of used Flourish Excel as carbon supplement rather than CO2.

Woodsy

5 Year Member
Any idea of what kind of carbonate hardness would be best? Do you reacon a small fragment of white rock burried in the substrate would be useful as a carbon source?

aspen

5 Year Member
i understand that carbon needs to be dissolved in the water in a readily available form for plants to gain the benefit. ie, it is easy to add carbon but co2 dissolved in water is very easily assimilitated by the plants, due to the fact that they don't need to chemically process it to extract it.

what kind of a 'white rock' did you have in mind?

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I'm sure there are plenty of different kinds of white rocks, but the only ones I can think of are alkaline, like limestone. Opposite effect from what we want to do.

Woodsy

5 Year Member
True. I am refering to CaCO3, which as you have said IS alkaline by nature. It was just something that popped into my head- just thought I'd ask

2la

5 Year Member
Woodsy said:
Any idea of what kind of carbonate hardness would be best? Do you reacon a small fragment of white rock burried in the substrate would be useful as a carbon source?
Woodsy, this depends on what the purpose for increasing the carbonate hardness is: If you mean to buffer the water so that you can inject CO2, then shoot for a dKH of about three or four. You can use CaCO3, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), or something like Kent's pH Stable, which is likely little more than sodium bicarbonate but may contain other carbonates. Note that the calcium carbonate is difficult to dissolve and will also increase your general hardness.

If you mean to increase the carbonate/bicarbonate concentration strictly to facilitate biogenic decalcification without CO2 injection, you're better off not. Nothing in my experience suggests that the red tiger lotus is a strong direct consumer of bicarbonates, and even if it were it may result in the deposition of calcium on the leaves.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….