• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rams

dhm325

5 Year Member
What is a suitable first food for Ram fry? I have been using Vinegar Eels, freeze dried rotifers and 50-100 micron Golden Pearls. Are Vinegar Eels too large for newly free-swimming ram fry? Thanks.

TetraFreak

5 Year Member
dhm325 said:
What is a suitable first food for Ram fry? I have been using Vinegar Eels, freeze dried rotifers and 50-100 micron Golden Pearls. Are Vinegar Eels too large for newly free-swimming ram fry? Thanks.

Have you tried Baby Brine Shrimp?

I hear that they go nuts over them!

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
If you can find microworms or vinegar eels they are smaller than bbs and work great for blue ram fry. See if there is anyone in your area that has a culture going and get one. If not you can mail order them, but not sure where.

apistoireland

5 Year Member
freshly hatched brineshrimp should be OK. I've used them as first food on my wild rams and they had no problems.
Alternatively you could use some of the liquid first food stuff that's around by most of the major food manufacturers.
If you want to save yourself some money , infusoria are always an option

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I've fed wild GBR's Live Baby brine shrimp a few yrs back with no troubles at all. I Know that this may not be good info being that it's so long ago. But they had a little bit of trouble starting out at frist but man with in oh I'd say 2 fedings.they where pro's at. i did notice That for the frist I beleave 2 weeks there was a differnts in the behaver. LIke more of the fry was staying on the bottom and not schooling around the sides and corners. Like they where doing before the lbbs. Then the ones that wheren't in the school the older they got the more they'd brke way from the rest of the fry.
But other then that they grow faster. The males got more aggrasave to the females an redy to spawn { and tryed and did have eggs } At 4 months old but none of the eggs hatched. The color in them was out of this world bright at there age. But None of that made a differnts in the BS or no BS. JUst proved to me that it is great for them.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….