• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rams Spawning

Charlotte

5 Year Member
I just had to share this with everyone!

Last night around 9 pm, I got to watch the blue Rams spawn from a front row seat! They picked the end of the 50-gal tank that faces the sofa, so we got to sit and observe about six inches away from where the action was! They didn't seem to mind the audience at all, maybe since this is where we always sit and watch the fish from. I saw a Platy have her babies once, but have never actually seen any egglayer spawn before.

The male had been trying to keep everyone out of various areas of the tank for about a week, with little success- the plecostomous, swordtail, and baby platys didn't seem to get the message. Last night, however, the female had found this spot under a clump of java moss and right up against the edge of the tank. She cleaned the rocks for about an hour, and the other rams kept trying to come close (including the other female), and the male kept them away. This time, even the pleco got the idea that he really meant business! By around 8:00, the pair seemd to have some sort of courtship going on, swimming mid level side by side, kind of spinning around in circles together, following head-to-tail. Then we noticed her in her pit in the sand that she had cleaned, quivering with her tail turned to one side, laying rows and circles of eggs. Sometimes he followed right next to her, and others he chased other fish away while she laid, and then fertilized while she came up to stand watch. They both took a break to eat when I fed the other fish. It looked like they were done, and the other fish would not leave the area alone, so I thought this might help distract them. But after eating, they went back for at least another 20 minutes. Overall the process took over an hour.

Neil had warned me that they may spawn in this tank and then eat the eggs the first time or two. The tank already had a divider installed, seperating about 12 gal or so at the other end of the tank, so I put all the other fish (especially the pleco- poor Waldo) into the other side. This morning the eggs are still there, and the couple keep an eye on the other fish through the divider.

This was all so exciting for me that I just had to share it! We think that the panduros did also spawn in the small tank a few days ago. Now the female has baracaded the opening to her cave sand, leaving only a slit of an opening. She rarely comes out, while the male stands guard. She was pale yellow with very dark-ink black markings the last time she came out.

Just a note:

The 50 gal tank has been kept at 80 degress F, pH 6.9-7.0, and fed flakes, frozen brine (spirulina enriched), and frozen worms; change 5-8 gal of water every 7-14 days (7 lately). The small 10 gal tank about 78-79 deg F, pH was up to 6.9 for a while, but now back down to 6.5 or so, and the same diet and same water change schedule, only about 3 gal each time.

Thanks for listening- hope you enjoyed the story. It has been quite an exciting drama for me, hopefully with more to come!

-Charlotte L.

Charlotte

5 Year Member
Well, most of the rams eggs were gone yesterday morning with the exception of about five that looked white and fungused, which disappeared later that day. However, the male spends nearly ALL his time sitting low next to the gravel in a corner of the tank where I can't see, and they both stay near that area. I am hoping that they just got tired of us looking at them all the time and moved the nest. Or, maybe they wanted to be closer to where they could keep an eye on the fish behind the divider. The eggs should have started hatching last night or this morning, and I am still hopefull.

The other female who was locked up with all the other fish kept beating on her favorite male and scoping out a spot in the corner like she wanted to spawn soon too. She and the remaining two males got moved to their own ten gallon tank last night, along with 3 neon tetras that are active good eaters to help encourage them to eat. The female seems comfortable already this morning, but the males are still a bit unsure. I put in both of the males because the one she picked doesn't have coloring as nice as the other. Maybe she will change her mind. The water is better in this tank, with almost no hardness and pH below 6.4, which I hope will prevent the fungus that got some of the other eggs.

Neil

Charlotte,
Don't be discouraged. Rams are notorious egg eaters! I would be suprised if the male is sitting over them right now though. He is often the one that takes that duty. Keep up the good breeding and the good stories.

W

Wiley

Sounds like they left the fungused ones and move the wigglers.

Neil

Charlotte,
Are you a psuedo-mom? Was the male actually guarding the squigglers of did they eat them? How about the other pair? Let us know the ending to the breeding story. :?:

Charlotte

5 Year Member
Here is the latest...

There were never any fry from the pair of rams that moved the eggs, and then we caught the baby discus (Nick says he is a wolf in sheep's clothing) picking at the gravel where we thought they had moved their nest. I actually put my hand in the tank to shoo him away, as he was ignoring the dad, but it must have been too late.

So the blue pair was moved to their own ten gallon. The male hid in the corner looking like a ghost, not eating or coming up for 3-4 days. Afraid of losing him, I put him back in the big tank and he started acting normal again within five minutes. But he kept going back to where the eggs were origionally laid and sitting over that spot. (So sad...) After a few days to get himself together, I put him back in with his wife-to-be in the 10 gal (Sat the 2nd), but he reacted the same way. Until last night (Sun 3rd) after the super bowl she was cleaning off a smooth rock and kept swimming over to him like she was trying to get him to come out. He peeked out a little, and was getting a little color back. By 10:30 p.m., she was spawning on the rock, and he was still hiding in the corner. "Oh, I hope he figures out what to do!" After a while, he started to watch a little closer, then closer, and then he finally started moving with her over the eggs as she laid them, and continuing when she took little breaks. "Hooray!" Today, they switch off fanning them about every five minutes, and the male is finally acting normal again.

(Drama #1)
This afternoon I noticed several very white eggs, and they were not making any effort to remove them. So I took a risk (was this terribly foolish?) and got my little tweezers to try to go after them. He tried to chase my hand away a little before giving up, but the female attacked my fingers the entire time, actually biting little pecks. It seemed too easy to hold with the tweezers (like it was hard- I expected it to be fragile), but I decided that this was upsetting her too much, so I left the others. Later there were more and more. Then black specks joined them, and I saw her spitting sand over the eggs! I felt pretty silly, and bad for disturbing them for nothing. But, they seem ok now, and she continues to add a speck of sand to them every now and then. Perhaps to hide them since they are out in the open on a stone? Now every time I come near the tank, the female comes to the front and tries to attack and chase me away through the glass! I think she hates me, but I am proud of her for being such a good mom. : ) Hopefull they will do a bit better this time. The water is 82 deg F, and I am trying to keep the pH down to 5.5, but don't know if it will stay that low long enough...

I'm pretty sure that the gold pair spawned as well, but have yet to find the eggs. But this time there is no one else around to eat them! If you look very closely and notice the shape of the female several times a day, you can tell when she's laid her eggs. She'll seem nice and plump, and all at once look terribly skinny and caved in around her tummy. I noticed this with both females when I actually got to watch them spawn. This is just something I noticed, and thought it might be helpful.

I will post again if they hatch!

[Note about the panduros: She never brought out fry, and I am thinking that there might have been too much turbulence from the filter (like a little waterfall at the top) for the eggs to be fertilized. She tore down the door to her cave, and followed the male around for a few days, never going into the cave. Yesterday she spent all day in the cave, and came out chasing everyone away. This time the male is guarding the cave pretty seriously too. Her color is a much deeper yellow now, and I am hoping that they have spawned again. There is only a foam filter now and the water is nice and still, so that should not be a facor this time. Their temperature is 80 deg F and pH 6.5.][/i]

Charlotte

5 Year Member
They Hatched!

This morning I came out into the living room and said good morning to the fish as usual, and to my amazement, there was a tank full of free-swimming fry and two proud parents! They have been leading them around the tank all day, and mom takes them in her mouth, lookes like she's chewing them, and then spits them out and they swim away. She chases down stragglers from the group and puts them back where she wants them this way.

At first a few of the fry were feeding off the bottom of the tank, but Iwhen they were given liquify, they seemed to swim away from it and did not look like they were eating it. Tonight, they follow the cloud of diluted liquifry from where it meets them at mid level in the tank, and they stay with that cloud all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Watching these tiny creatures rivals some of the most amazing miracles of life that I have seen. I can barely make out their tiny little eyes. Perfectly formed little animals that are as big as they are, and yet, did not exist only six days ago. It is beautiful watching them with their parents, protective and attentive. So far this has been an altogether lovely experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(