• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RAMIREZI - Sex differences

MDAD

Hey ppl!

I have two gold rams with me. I read the female has that purple patch on the belly and the male doesnt.

These purple patch only appears when the female is sexually mature or a female always have this purple patch during her life?

Im asking that because one of my gold rams is slightly round shaped and the other one is not so rounded, but no purple patch. BTW, i visited many lfs here and i cant find any rams with a female purple patch. Well, is it not happening because are they still young?

Thanks in advance.

gerald

5 Year Member
No, the purple patch is not always there; it can come and go according to age and conditions. Some males can get a little purple too, but usually less than females do. The golds and electric blue rams are more difficult to sex than normal blue rams. Look at a combination of indicators: forehead shape (more square in males), belly shape, dorsal and anal fin length, and purple on belly. On normal blue rams, you can also use the pattern of blue iridescent spots on the black lateral spot.

MDAD

Well..i did a research online about characteristics of female and male and all pointed to two females. But its not. Its a couple, they spawned, and the kids are grouped inside a pit in the sand. More few days they will do a lift off.

Two questions...the parents moved the eggs from different places by 5 times or more. Are they getting scared to do that?

After the babies are swiming how many times per day i should feed with microworms? Cooked egg yolk can be used too?

Thx in advance.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Moving larvae/wigglers is not uncommon for Rams. In the wild many substrate spawners do this to prevent them from being found by predators. You are now at the time when most ram fry are eaten by the parents for some reason. If/when the fry become freeswimming it is best to feed them with live micro-organisms like paramecium or cyclops. Microworms are even too large for the first few days. Many breeder keep a large clump of Jungle Moss, which houses large amounts of micro-organisms, in the tank. Sponge filters also contain large amounts of micro-organisms and some hobbyists squeeze 'mulm' from them for the fry.

MDAD

I just have two corys schwartzii here...and the rams are kicking them away lol... Ill try to squeeze the mulm from another healthy fishtank i have here...thanks for your advice.. Btw...and about cooked egg yolk? I think to create infusioriae it would take some time to do so..and im not so safe to make a lettuce to rot and use this water into the tank...

Last edited:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Many breeder keep a large clump of Jungle Moss, which houses large amounts of micro-organisms, in the tank. Sponge filters also contain large amounts of micro-organisms and some hobbyists squeeze 'mulm' from them for the fry.
I like the <"moss method"> as well.
Ill try to squeeze the mulm from another healthy fishtank i have here.
You get a lot of <"rotifers"> in filter sponges, and <"rotifers are great fry food">. You squeeze the mulm out over the moss for maximum benefit.

Once you get the fry past the first few days you can pipette a slurry of micro-worms and powdered dried food into the moss. The wriggle of the worms stimulates the fry feeding response and hopefully they will try the powdered food as well.
I think to create infusioriae it would take some time to do so..and im not so safe to make a lettuce to rot and use this water into the tank.
I like dead leaves in the tank, they definitely help to produce small food items, without the same risk of water contamination.

Have a look at <"All the leaves are brown">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….