• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RAM SPAWN!

newworldan06

5 Year Member
Less than a week ago I bought a pair of german blue rams. They are already breeding! I found the eggs on a piece of wood this morning. I knew it was going to happen because of their behavior yesterday. I have a couple of questions

-How long do they take to hatch. If so when should i move the eggs? I postive i am gunna need to move the eggs before they hatch.

-How should i move them they are on a piece of wood?

-Do the eggs turn red when fertilized?

-What water conditons do they need exactly to breed? I am afraid my water was to hard and the eggs got hard before the male could fertilize them. MY KH is 7. I am working on lowering it. I have lowered it from 12-7 in the last month and a half hoping to bring it down to around 3 or 4.

thanks

fishgeek

i'm pretty inexperienced with ram's
and do believe you need soft water for viable fertilisation of the egg's , i believe it might specifically be to do with a couple of ions, mg and i cant remember the other so you maybe lucky if they are low enough

i have never kept blue rams through my bolivians and from what i have heard they are not the best parents
i constantly get fry for 3-4 days and lose them all

i would personally move the wood that they have spawned on into a separate tank

good luck
andrew

T

tsaishang

Use RO water and add some Methylene Blue. Take out the wood with eggs and put it in your RO water with methylene blue. Inject air bubbles. Increase tempurature to 28-30C. Eggs will hatch in 2 days. If the temperature is low, it will take longer time and more eggs will be rotten. Good luck.

aspen

5 Year Member
gh is what you should be concerned imo. rams spawn best in soft water, but my water is gh 8, kh 4, and i've raised some rams in my tapwater. if they are viable they should be golden. white means unfertilised and they will die before they hatch and be eaten or left to go fungussed.

i would not remove the eggs, get the parents into guarding them and raising them. others here haven't had good luck with that, but i've had a couple of pairs that were very good parents, provided they had someone else in the tank to defend their eggs from. 1 oto is perfect.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(