• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ram sexing?

Man, I messed that all up. They’re called pelvic fins, since both them and the anal fin are technically on the ventral side of the fish. Also, “find” = “fin”. Guess you can’t edit comments here?

Apistoguy52

Hum... have you ever laid an egg? I haven't; having said that i know what you mean - don't borelli sometime switch sexes - i wonder if there is a law against transgender fishes.
I’d imagine all Apistogramma are capable of changing sexes. I once had a female agassizii decide to become male and raise a batch of fry with one of her daughters. It was fun trying to explain that the father, and the grandmother were the same fish

MacZ

Considering the fact that at least one geophagine species (Crenicara punctulatum) is regularly protogynously hermaphroditic (f -> m), it is not completely out of the question if that applies to other species of the Tribus as well.
Only thing that makes me think twice: Besides C. punctulatum, there is no species where it has been proven without a doubt and where it occurs regularly. Singular occurences are not proof of a whole genus or even family of fish being capable of it.

And please no transgender debates. I know it's more of a political issue in the US than for basically all the rest of the world, this would just escalate in a bad way. Also it is not comparable with hermaphroditism in animals at all.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No they dont, atleast not after the first 6 sex determining weeks, i cant think of any freshwater fish that changes sexes, sorry to say it but people that say "my fish just changed sexes" just miss sexed their fish.
Sorry, Jannik, but you are incorrect in this. There are several reports of changes in sex in apistos (see Koslowski, 2002 for one). I agree most accounts are unsubstantiated, but when an apisto female spawns and produces fry when there is only a male in the tank, then spawns with only a female in the tank who lays eggs and produces fry there is only 1 logical conclusion. Cichlids are sometimes 'unusual' in this respect. They are fairly closely related to marine clown fish after all.

Jannik

Sorry, Jannik, but you are incorrect in this. There are several reports of changes in sex in apistos (see Koslowski, 2002 for one). I agree most accounts are unsubstantiated, but when an apisto female spawns and produces fry when there is only a male in the tank, then spawns with only a female in the tank who lays eggs and produces fry there is only 1 logical conclusion. Cichlids are sometimes 'unusual' in this respect. They are fairly closely related to marine clown fish after all.
Thanks for the info, i thought that it is just a rumor / miss sexing, it probably is most of the time but sometimes they change, hopefully this topic will be more researched, it would really interest me what triggers this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….