• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ram pairs...

B

brjames12

I have a pair of Blue Rams (a male and a female) who have gotten along perfectly since they were introduced to each other. The female is currently pregnant and they appear to be great mates. They are so intriguing and beautiful that I would like to add another pair of Blues into the tank, but I have heard conflicting stories about how male rams react with respect to new additions to their environment.

My question is this:
If I add this new couple, will the relationship between the original pair be in jeopardy? Would the dominant male ram stake claim to both females, or would the old pair and the new pair coexist peacefully? I have heard many stories on the subject, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. Thanks for any info

Eva32181

5 Year Member
How big is your tank? If it's just a 20, definitely stick to one pair. If it is as big as a 55, then I think you could try two pairs. But you never know how they will react to one another, even in huge tanks.

Maybe you could try a pair of another species of dwarfs instead - they will each set up their own territories, but the other male won't steal the female Ram.

aspen

5 Year Member
don't mess with success. if you can find another species that you like, and the tank is big enough, go for it. tank dymanics with 2 breeding ram pairs will be less peaceful than you have now.

rick

Neil

brjames12,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

My question is this:
If I add this new couple, will the relationship between the original pair be in jeopardy? Would the dominant male ram stake claim to both females, or would the old pair and the new pair coexist peacefully? I have heard many stories on the subject, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.
I agree with the others, although I also recognize that there are NO hardfast rules to all of this.
In general, a 36" tank, that is heavily planted or structured with other materials, probably would allow for two seperate pairs to establish and defend territories without extremely aggressive confrontations. Both could breed and both could raise their fry.
Now, that is alot of probably and could comments. It would be much more advisable to cut down the conspecific aggression in the tank by putting another pair of fairly docile Apistogramma, like borellii, etc.
It is pretty much up to you and what you are looking for in your tank. I have had three seperate pairs of the same species of Apistogramma spawn at the same time in a 20g. holding tank. And no-one was ripped to shreads. But then again, I have had several other instances where another pair was beaten up and forced to constantly hide in a 30g. You can't always go by species, because the individual personalities of the fish come into play too. Good luck. Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….