• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Raising pH help

MsCichlid

5 Year Member
Hi. I'm new to the list and I need your help.

Anyone have methods of raising pH? My tap water measures 8.5 with hardly any buffering capacity. It measures 118ppm on the TDS meter. I use rainwater in all my tanks. I need to raise the pH in the fry tanks.

Thanks for any help you can offer. :cry:

MC

Neil

MsCichlid,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I'm not sure why you would want to raise 8.5pH!? :? I think that you might have made a typo. Let us know what your water really is and maybe we can offer some suggestions. If you are using rainwater, it might just be a matter of "cutting" it with tapwater.
Neil

MsCichlid

5 Year Member
:oops: I meant...I want to raise the rainwater's ph and hardness. Since
my tap water has virtually no buffering capacity, would it raise the ph or will I have to add some other medium to raise the hardness? :?

mordor

5 Year Member
Hmm, unless you got real alcaline water fish you do not need to raise pH :lol: Could tell us more about fishes and parameters of rainwater?

MsCichlid

5 Year Member
The reason for raising the rainwater ph in the fry tanks is to get them to grow faster. The rainwater measures 6.0 and <2 degrees hardness.

Right now all the fry get appropriate sized live foods for their size. I want them to grow faster to get rid of them. I need the tank space for exsisting breeding program and for those I hope to obtain.

Z Man

5 Year Member
Francine,
That's the first time I ever heard that pH aided in the growth of fry. I just usually make frequent water changes, like EOD. Of course with all those water changes you would have to re-adjust the pH each time. All I ever have done is as soon as I know the fry are going to survive, I begin adding tap water to the RO with each change. In 20 years I have only once actually changed the pH on purpose and that was for breeding Taeniacara candidi. AND I would NOT go through all that trouble again.

Neil

I agree with Z! I really don't see any deficiency in the water that you are growing-out your fry. The speed with which they grow is a function of space, food and water changes.
There is some small possibility that certain minerals for appropriate growth might not be present, but I doubt it.
If you are determined to raise the hardness of the rain water, you might try using a product like RO Right. It will add buffering to your water and is fairly inexpensive. But, as Zman said, you will need to add a similar amount for each water change that you do.
I would do regular water changes and feed a varied diet. I bet your fish will grow at a good rate and they are less likely to have the stresses of water manipulation. Good luck!
Neil

MsCichlid

5 Year Member
ph help

Thanks guys,
I appreciate your help. It's weird how after some time goes by without raising fry that one gets stupid and forgets the basics. The more you know, the dummer you get. :lol:

Francine

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….