• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Quick Question re:bubbles

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Hey, here is a perhaps silly question. I added an airstone/bubble wand to a blue ram juvie tank to help them recover/breath from a bought of gill flukes a few days ago. Since then, the dominant male and female have claimed the territory of the bubbler and spend all their time in the bubbles, biting and floating, etc just like kids.
Question - will this cause any health problems? I can easily move the thing off the bottom of the tank so they can't hang out on it anymore but they 'look' like they are having fun in the bubbles.
Thanks!
Cathy

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have had cory cats do the same thing. It was harmless fun. It probably doesn't indicate any problem with the fish. Your rams might be confusing the bubbles for eggs, however, and are trying to capture them.

AdamT

5 Year Member
I had a tank with a bubble wand in the bottom back. In front of it was some driftwood and plants. There were about 4 neons in the tank. Sometimes they'd decide to have some fun and they'd all dissappear around the driftwood near the bottom. A moment later they'd all come flooding up through the top, carried by the upcurrent from the bubble wall. Then they'd all swim around to the bottom and back behind the driftwood to do it again. It looked like fun. :biggrin: It never caused any problems.

Woot! Post #40! Look out Tjudy, I'm gonna catch ya! :biggrin:

Adam

mike_cummi

5 Year Member
I have a small airstone in the corner of my main tank which is on for two 1 hour periods each day. As soon as the bubbles appear my harlequin rasboras shoot straight over and play in the rising column of bubbles - they love it. My tank (Juwel Rekord 70) has a powerhead which causes a current right across the middle of the tank and my rasboras also love swimming against that.

I also have a small quarantine tank where the filtration is built into the hood. The water is sucked up by a pipe in one corner and then flows back into the tank in the other. Many fish i have put in my quarantine tank have been obsessed with swimming vertically straight up into the flow of water returning to the tank.

I've even seen a gizmo which you can put in your tank which causes constantly changing water currents of diffferent directions throughout the day.

Many fish seem to like playing in water currents, others dislike it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….