• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question regarding apistogramma cacatuoides breeding habits

I have a pair in a 10 gallon that happened to have free swimming fry about 10 days ago, i was shocked as this was not suppose to be a permanent residence for these fish. Well now it almost seems as if the mother has laid eggs again as she hasnt come out of her flower pot in days and if she happens to venture out she swims aggressively at the fry, is it possible for them to breed again this quick or is this a sign of something else? All the fry are in an opposite side and corner of the tank as the flower pot. I wasnt gonna pull the fry yet but im feeling like i should as to protect them from getting killed. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Jmty

i had that happened,but she never really got to any of the fry ,think was more a warning to them.left then in the tank with no problems.

DBlauj

If she has laid more eggs and if you have another tank for them, pull em out and raise em youself. Apisto fry are pretty tough. I sometimes pull fry a week after they become free swimming and feed em micro worms and bbs. No problems so far with raising them myself. I admit though it is pretty cool to see the female parade around with her batch. They seem to grow faster with the parents in my opinon also.

If she has laid more eggs and if you have another tank for them, pull em out and raise em youself. Apisto fry are pretty tough. I sometimes pull fry a week after they become free swimming and feed em micro worms and bbs. No problems so far with raising them myself. I admit though it is pretty cool to see the female parade around with her batch. They seem to grow faster with the parents in my opinon also.
But if I left them what should I expect with these fry and potential new fry?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilyiahib

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….