• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

question about possible hybridation

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Hi ,

i want to know if hybradatiion between male Macmmasteri and female panduro is possible.

why my question , because i have a show tank , with some macmasteri and a femelle panduro.
3 or 4 days ago , i notice the female pandy turn yellow, hmmmm strange , no male pandy in the tank
and now she is guading an hole in a drift wood , i have no access to check.

so i want to knmow if it possible to stop that **** asap.

if not , i will let her think of it :)

Apistt_ed

The only thing I can really think of happening is she (panduro female) has kidnapped fry from one of the A. Macmasteri. Do you have macmasteri pairs or are they all males? It's pretty common in apistos to take other female's fry and raise them as their own. I currently have two broods in a tank with one aggie pair and one pair of Cacatuoides and the aggie pair had spawned a good two weeks prior to the cacatuoides so the fry were much older and bigger than the later mentioned. So, the story goes a week goes by after the cacatuoides fry were free swimming and I realize that the number of fry had severely dropped! To my astonishment, there were about 20 newly freeswimming fry with the aggie female and her much older fry! a couple of nites later, I was in the process of feeding them and noticed that there were some aggie babies now with the new cacatuoides family! Instead of righting the wrong there, I decided to just leave them the way they were. Now there are some aggies growing up thinking they are cacatuoides and vice versa. Apistogramma shrink anyone? :D

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If your female A. panduro did breed with a male A. macmasteri it is very unlikely that the eggs will develop. The 2 species come from widely different lineages in the genus. It definitely would be interesting to see if anything results. Let us know.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
No,
impossible (panduro female) has kidnapped fry from one of the A. Macmasteri. they are not in breeding mood and they are a way too young for thats.

Mike , i was thinking go see in the hole today and destroy eny eggs but i will let her finish see what happen.

dont be afraid i will not keep this babies (if babies born).

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Hi all,
What a surprise for me when i see my female panduron out with only 3 fry.
yes only 3 but that means 3 hatch :?

hybridation between this two species is possible , what a deception :cry:

the fry is dead now of course .
regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….