• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Problem w/ATI sponge filter.

georgedv

5 Year Member
A few months ago I ordered about 20 ATI sponge filters of various sizes. They came in bulk, not in their individual box, in one big case.

I set up about eight of them....and seemed to work well. The tanks have been running since but I have not added any fish...just snails and plants.

Last night as I was cleaning I moved one to siphon some stuff from around it (these tanks have floating plants and are bare bottom). When I moved it I noticed something underneath it stuck to the glass. It turned out to be rust. It seems that all the sponges being used have...I guess you can call them cracks on the weighted base....and those cracks have rust on them.

Is this normal....it says Aquarium Technologies Inc. on the weighted base...I hope I have not been had....if so I will let you all know by whom.

These rust spots are small....but still....should I worry?!!!

thanks for any input.

g

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have noticed that occasionally. I cannot link any problems to it. THe tanks that have the rust still have pleny of inverts, so I do not htink that the iron oxide is toxic to them. I am not sure what causes it, but i suspect it has to do with temperature during storage. If the metal in the base gets very hot it will expand, and it is gets cold it will shrink. Either could put pressure on the plastic. Plastic will also absorb water a little, so that could also me providing the pressure to create the hairline cracks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I wouldn't say it is normal, but I am not really surprised that it can happen. If it is an iron or lead weight, then it shouldn't harm your fish or plants (think of it as a source of iron for nice green plants:biggrin:). If you don't like it, write to ATI and ask for a replacement. If it were me - and it bothered me - I would seal the cracks with silicone sealant. My main problem with these filters is that the base & the sponge support sometimes won't stay together after a few years under water. On these, I wind a rubber band around the base to add width, making the fit tighter. I've been tempted to use friction tape, but don't think it is waterproof or know what the glue will do to the fish.

viejo

5 Year Member
No, iron is almost completely non-toxic in aquariums ( soils in tropical countries often have a high iron content which leaches into the waterways) & an iron content actually helps improve coloration in fishes.. I use iron wire as plant weights in my planted tanks, it eventually rusts away but by then the plants should have rooted :wink: ...

: Looks as if we have a 'shotgun-answer' thingy going here, the concensus being = 'Don't worry about it'..

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the positive answers. One thing i hate is wasting my time correcting such messes.

If the fish live I don't mind the cracks...but i will put silicon on the bases to avoid rust getting on the glass. It's a real pain getting it off.

again thank you

g

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….