• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Presentation and advice or a 175 gallons

Villo

5 Year Member
Hello, there I’m from Madrid, Spain and I’ve been having a 30 gallon tank for nearly a two years, till now I haven’t got many experiences with cichlids, just a pair a of Angels and a pair of Cacautoides that have to remove from my 30 gallons because of their naughty behaviour.

I’ve just ordered a 175 gallons tank the population of the tank is gonna be.

6 Angels
12 Rainbows
50 Cardinals
3 Ancistrus
8 octocinclus
4 SAE’s
15 Corys

And some cichlids, here is were I need your advice, I would like to have

3 cCacautoides 1 male 2 females
2 Kribs Male and female
3 Borrelli 1 Male and 2 females

will they be any problems with the rest of the aquarium fishes or because of the size of the tank I won’t have problems? Any suggestion will be apreciated, maybe other species...

Thanks in advance.

aspen

5 Year Member
hi villo. a 175 gal tanks sounds like a really nice s/a display. that mix seems to be ok, but no-one can tell you for sure if there will be lots of room, or not enough. this wil depend on the individual fish, and how much cover you provide. try setting things up without the apistos, then add the least agressive species, followed by the next most agressive species etc. and see what happens. a tank like that will evolve and changes may need to be made, depending on how much pressure there is. the fewer the fish, and the more cover you provide, the less pressure there will be. maybe one fish or type wil make more trouble than you would think before you put it together. will you still have your 30 gal set up to remove fish if they are not working out?

have fun, rick

Villo

5 Year Member
Thanks Aspen, the 30 gallon tank is gonna be dedicated only as quarantine in the beguinning and after that will have to be given or sold. That's Condition number one imposed by my wife in order to buy the new tank :oops: I would have love to setup a Tanganika with those 30 gallons but that's how it is. :cry:

I thought I might have problems, but it seems now I'm gonna have them from what you've said, I'll do it as you say but once the tank is established, which cichlid i put on first?

thanks

farm41

5 Year Member
That tank is probably big enough that it may not matter, but I don't like mixing west african cichlids with south american cichlids. I'd leave the kribs out, and go with 2-3 pairs borellii, and a trio or foursome of cacs.

Corie Dora

5 Year Member
Having only one tank 8O Oh no

Let your wife know that you NEED to have a quarantine tank, all the time. You don't need to keep it in the living room, or anyplace it can be seen, or even up and running, but having a quarantine/hospital tank available at all times is so so important. I keep a fifteen gallon tank, all set up with plants, ect, but no fish, up and running, so I use it for quarantine, to isolate fish when necessary, grow out plants, hopefully for fry rearing....and I also have a few empty tanks in my storage closet, and lots of spare parts.

The way I figure it, every nice display tank has to have some kind of support system tank/s

Corie :)

-anne-

5 Year Member
Hello!
If you take rainbows, kribs and the rest of the fish on the list, then you will have fish from three different continents: Oseania, Africa and S-America. I think it is not a good idea.
If I were you I would not mix apistos and kribs (so I'd forget about kribs). I also wouldn't take rainbows. Some of them can reach the size of 15 cm (5,9 inches), but if you really want them, try to find the smallest species. Which do you want to be the "stars" your tank, angels or rainbows? How about some nice tetra instead of rainbows?
What is SAE?
Good luck :)

Villo

5 Year Member
Thanks to everyone, I guess I'm going to left the Kribs and start with the rest of fish for a while to see how it goes.

About keeping the other aquarium, I know you are right it has to be a must to keep another tank, just in case and because of quarantine etc, I guess I'll have to be more sensitive with my wife for a while :wink:

about the main fish in my tank, definetely the Angels thought I have plenty of room and rainbows are very peaceful and colorful, so I'll keep them.

SAE is Siamese algae eater, Crossocheilus siamensis. This fish is also
called Siamese flying fox. Epalzeorhynchus siamensis is its old name,
and Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus is the "common" flying fox (not the real one) is the best Algae eater by far.

More info about SAE

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/other/crossocheilous_siamensis.htm

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'Let your wife know that you NEED to have a quarantine tank, all the time.'

i have to agree with this, there will always be a time when you wish you had another tank ready to go. a 30 gal is a pretty good size for this to support a 175. maybe you will have room underneath the 175 gal?

rick

Villo

5 Year Member

Neil

Villo,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Sorry that I didn't welcome you earlier, but I have been distracted by yet another attack on my computer that is even making it difficult to respond to posts. But it looks like you are getting good responses.
I don't know what the prices are like for anything but dinky tanks here in the US :? .
Good luck,
Neil

Villo

5 Year Member
Neil said:
I don't know what the prices are like for anything but dinky tanks here in the US :? .
Good luck,
Neil

Thanks for the welcome, don't think i have money... it's been long time since we started earning :wink:

Nice web you've got here.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….