• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

preparing for new arrivals?

kichibo

5 Year Member
In a couple of weeks I will hopefully be recieving 2 wild ram pairs and an a.hongsloi 1m/2f herem. I have of plenty of 10 gallons, a couple of 15 gallons, and a 20 long available for quarantine and acclimation. They will be spending several months in these smaller tanks while I prepare the 90 gallon. How is the best way to separate and acclimate them to the qtanks? I've never dealt with more sensitive fish like cichlids, only "standard" tropicals like tetra, raspbora and gouramis. Thanks.

kenkht

5 Year Member
The best way is when you introduce the new arrival into any tanks, use the drip method over 1-2hours. This is to make sure they don't get pH and temperature shock.

If you are putting them in a temporary tank, give each a cave, and some plants in pot or that tied to bogwood. This will give them some security while you prepare your main tank. If you decide to go bare tank, it is good to make the bottom of the tank black (a piece of black paper placed under the tank). Your are doing this to make your fishes feel secure and not stress them out.

kichibo

5 Year Member
Should I put them all into one tank? Or separate pairs? all together will be in a 15 gallon, if separating them, I will use several 10 gallons. Other than washing, do those little clay pots need any treatment before going in a tank?
Thanks!

kenkht

5 Year Member
If your fishes arrive all in 1 bag, then you can have them all together. If arrive in seperate bags, then it is best to quarantine them seperately. And since they are wild, seperating them is best practice.

Sterilise the clay pots by boiling them. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….