• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

powerhead in an apisto tank?

Spartan16

5 Year Member
I currently run an air stone in my 20 gallon community tank. Even though I have live plants, I think the extra oxygen can't hurt

I will be starting a 29 gallon apisto tank soon, and will be using sand instead of gravel. My question is would a power head be better for this tank then an air stone. Would it stir up the debris on the sand more, providing better filtration, as well as provide good aeration?

Or...would it just disturb the apistos, by providing to much current?

apistobob

5 Year Member
I have never used power heads in any of my dwarf cichlid tanks. I don;t believe that they add anything to the basic requirements of Apistos. In nature most are found in water with little current. Although I agree that extra oxygen may be beneficial I have always found that a gentle stream of bubbles from a sponge filter provides plenty of surface agitation which is where most of the gas exchange takes place.

I imagine that the fish will cope fine with a power head in the new tank but, in my opinion, there is absolutely no need.

Bob

viejo

5 Year Member
I have a powerhead connected to a waterfall in my dwarf cichlid show tank..No apistos in there at present but the ones that were in there until recently didn't seem to be bothered at all.. The rams & killies in there @ present seem happy enough also.. Actually, fish from stagnant waters might actually feel more at ease w/o the bubbling noise from air-driven filters.. Just a guess, they haven't commented either way :) ..

bigbird

5 Year Member
i think this is a personal choice. Again as long as there is not too much water currect below this should be fine. My suggestion is to check this out and just observe. cheers jk :biggrin:

viejo

5 Year Member
Very well said.. Aquarists should do a little more personal observation & study rather than following aquaristic 'dogma' to the letter...

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamigLag

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(