• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

phonetic spellings please

scott

5 Year Member
since i only see the species names in writing i don't know the correct pronunciation. could someone please give me a hand with these:

1. juruensis
2. eremenopyge
3. nijsseni
4. bitaeniata
5. viejita
6. steindachneri
7. Biotoecus
8. Jurua

thank you

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
1. juruensis jer oo en sis
2. eremenopyge err em enn oh pie gee (hard g)
3. nijsseni nee sen eye
4. bitaeniata bye tane ee ah tah
5. viejita veh hee tah
6. steindachneri stine dack ner eye
7. Biotoecus bye oh tee kus
8. Jurua not sure about this one

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I cannot completely agree with Ted's pronunciations. Ted's pronunciations are different because of how we Americans pronounce vowels compared with Europeans. Mine are different because they follow pronunciation used in classical Latin. In addition, fish named in honor of a person/location are pronounced as the person/location is pronounced. Thus:

A. juruensis (named for the Rio Juruá) should be pronounced "yoo roo en sees"
A. eremnopyge - ee' rame no' pee geh (hard "g")
A. nijsseni (named for Dr. Hans Nijssen) should be pronounced as he pronounces his name ("Nī (long 'i') szen") - nī' szen ee (the masculine possessive (genitive) 'i' in classical Latin is pronounced as a long 'e')
A. bitaeniata - by' tee nee' ah tah (in classical Latin the dipthong "ae" is pronounced like a long 'e')
A. viejita (based on the Spanish word for 'old woman/mother'. In Spanish all vowel are pronounced separately) - vee' ā (long a) hee' tah
A. steindachneri is named for Franz Steindachner (Austrian) who would have pronounced his name "Schtīn (long 'i') dauch' nair" - schtine dauch' nair e
Biotoecus is Greek & uses the European vowel pronunciation - Bee' oo tee' koos
Jurua (Juruá actually) is the name of a major Amazon tributary in western Brazil - the Rio Juruá - Yoo roo ah'

Now that I have completely confused everyone, I will say that I personally don't think it's that important to be able to speak 'proper' scientific names to be understood. I certainly 'Americanize' a lot of names. As one of my English professors once told us, "Any English that you can understand is good English; it might not be proper English, but it is good English.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….