• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pH too high for aggies?

skwelch

5 Year Member
this is probably in the wrong section but this room seems the busiest and wanted most people to see it :)

ok i was just wondering over the last couple of days why my apisto agissizii arent breeding successfully, they seem to be going thru the early stages and laying eggs, but dont seem to get much further than that, either by eating the eggs or maybe the eggs turning white

i just tested the water in the tank and all seems good except the pH, and wondered how much effect this is having on their eggs.
pH is alkaline, around 7.2/7.3
KH was 5deg
so the water is reletively soft but not acidic
i use RO water with a small amount of my hard tap water added
i checked the water im adding to the tank seperately and its pH is 6.5

the only thing i can think is raising the pH is my substrate, this time i used a special substrate for plant growth because i wanted the tank to look good with lush plants - which i have. the substrate is made by seachem and is called onyx, its a black clay based material and i added a small amount on laterite aswell. is this the problem?
ive always used inert sand in the past but was told the onyx shouldnt effect water parameters too much
the only other thing in the tank is a clay pot which shouldnt effect pH, and so i assumed the clay based substrate wouldnt effect pH much either

do you think i need to replace the onyx with inert substrate so the water will stay acidic, id love for this pair of aggies to breed successfully as the male is pretty stunning?
anyone ever used onyx in their tanks?
anyone have a clue what im on about :)?

fishgeek

just add some r/o brewed with peat till it goes tea coloured
my aggies love it
it will certainly help lower your ph and possibly softner your water slightly

this should bring you closer to the ideal water for spawning your aggies succesfully

andrew

Terje

5 Year Member
You could also try to use a withered oak leaf to lower the pH. In the beginning it'll probably just float around but after a while i should sink.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….