• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ph/temprature and sexes

apisto85

5 Year Member
I have heard that in apistos the ph and water temprature somehow desides the sexes of the fish..or something :roll:

And i just wanted to now will i get more females than males if the water is more or les acid and more or less warm :?:

Randall

5 Year Member
Sex Ratios

Dear Apisto85,

Although pH certainly effects sex ratios of Pelvicachromis pulcher, I don't think the same can be said of most Apistogramma species. If you simulate the water chemistry of your fish's natural environment, you should be just fine.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
Breeding A. nijsenni

Dear Apisto85,

What is your name, please?

A. nijsenni is endemic to quite soft, acidic water: pH just under 6.0. I'd keep them in 27-degree C water for breeding.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

apisto85

5 Year Member
moi

Its Tini kuismanen

Hopefully i get 50%males and 50% females so i wont have to worry but atleast my friend has this proplem whit geisleri's.
Her numbers are 2 females for 7 males

aspen

5 Year Member
there has been some work done with manipulating ph to altering male to female ratio.

http://cichlidae.com/articles/a100.html

although it is not complete, there does seem to be a relationship between ph and sex ratio of spawns of some fish notably some apistos studied. BUT... 9 fish out of a spawn doesn't come close to having a decent sample for analysis. i would suggest that your friend work on hatch and survival rates first, then try to manipulate the sex ratios to where they want.

rick

apisto85

5 Year Member
ok

Ok.I will.
The fish in my friend aquarium spawn by themselwes and she doesn't do anything to get them to surwiwe. She doesn't really want to have 50 "kids" to sell. The apistogrammas aren't that popular in finland yet

Thanks for the tips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….