• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis signatus - females only?

nekomi

5 Year Member
Hi again everyone,

I recently posted regarding a tank of supposed P. humilis that I saw at my LFS. After digging around a bit online, I've found that the fish were not humilis as they were labeled, but actually a tank full of female Pelvicachromis signatus.

I really loved the color on these fish, and would like to utilize a spare 29 gallon I have to house a few. Since there are only females available at my LFS, and they're more stunning than the males (based on the pics I saw online), how many could safely be housed in the aquarium? I'm having a really hard time finding information on them.

I'd like to add some West African killifish as dithers as well, so if anyone could recommend any that fit the biotope, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Female signatus will bicker a bit, but I think that the absence of a male would prevent any nasty beatings. A group of three would do fine.

Look for some information at www.cichlidae.info, as well as more pictures.

nekomi

5 Year Member
Sounds wonderful. Three was just what I was hoping for. Any ideas about the killies? Thanks so much for responding!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The only place I can think of to get African killies of many types is www.rehobothaquatic.com (which is where your store probably picked up their signatus). Ask the store if they can order killies when they order west african cichlids.

Epiplatys species are generally large and tough enough for dither duty. (Except for the Epiplatys annulatus... cool fish but a good dither choice.)

Randall

5 Year Member
Housing killie fish with Pelvicachromis signatus

Hello Nekomi,

I have no personal experience with them, but both Scriptaphyosemion roloffi and S. geryi are found in the Kolente River system in Guinea. They are sympatric with Pelvicachromis signatus.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….