• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelv. Rubrolaliale

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Any info on these ? I'm planning to get about 3 paires this weekend.

Agressive ? Water conditions ?

Wasnt able to find any documentation on them yet :( ( My lamboj's book is supposed to arrive this friday ^_^ )

Thanks
Phil

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
P. rubrolabiatus is a beautiful fish. They need space though. They can be very aggressive with each other.

Soft, acid water... frequent water changes. Food that is rich in vegetable matter is better than high protein foods. They like to sift sand for detritus like most Pel. humilis types. I use a lot of planted driftwood to alleviate some of the aggression. I am down to a pair in a 110 (from six fish that i started with), however. Thew female dances a lot, but I stil have not seen eggs. Occasionally the male beats the female adn she hides out for a few days.

Good luck..

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Ouch... DId you housed them in a 110 from the beginning ?

Thanks for the information....

Phil

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes... they have been in the 110 all along. Funny thing... I have three P. humilis types adn P. signatus. Most of the literature I have seen lists P. rubrolabiatus as teh least aggressive, but that has not been my experience at all. In fact, I have a breeding pair of P. signatus in a 33 long adn a LARGE pair of P. humils 'dinkaya' in a 20!!! They act like love birds... Thsi just goes to show that fish are not entirely predictable. Maybe I just have the psyhcopathic rubrolabiatus male...

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Yeah, I just hope you werent lucky with your male..

Well, I once had apistos Nijsseni that killed the entire tank before spawning. Everywhere I could find a reference, it told me that they were peacefull and gentle, only being agressive when spawning, like all apistos...

Well, it took 2 days to realise what was killing all the fish and before I finished removing the other, the pair nearly killed half of the population...

It must be related to childhoold trauma or something like that, I guess :p

Phil

Neil

At the very least, we can assume that individual differences occur in individuals of all species. I have a female rubrolabiatus that is far more aggressive than any of my males have been. Maybe we should get our 2 fish together, Ted!

Neil

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Neil said:

At the very least, we can assume that individual differences occur in individuals of all species.
Neil

Indeed. I've witnessed it many times, even with gouramis and tetras :p

Phil

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D Is that teh HUGE female I brought you at the ACA? She has a history... the guy I got her from said she killed her mate when he had her.

You might have a good idea... think that shipping to Creede right now is worth the risk?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well... if they are PAIRS, then two will not likely survive together at all. If you are starting with four fish I would start with a 40 gallon and be ready to move the losers when the other pair becomes territorial. I would also set up two distinct structureal zones with spawning caves. Hopefully the first pair will pick an end of the tank and not the whole tank.

My system for Pelvicachromis has evolved over eth years... here is what I like to do if I am buying pairs. I buy three pairs, then separate them into trios.. a true trio and a reverse trio. I split up the smallest two fish. These 'third wheels' become the 'glue that binds' in a pair. The pair has a common enemy to unite against. I will lwet the odd-fish out stay until the pair has fry. This will often result in the death of that third fish, but teh pair bond that is created lasts!

This system has worked very well for me with P. taeniatus, P. subocellatus, P. signatus, P. humilis (of various types), P. pulcher and P. scrimontis... but not rubrolabiatus... yet. The system has also worked for lots of other genera, both new and old world.

Another variation to the system is to buy six juviniles and grow them up. When the first pair is created I remove three of the others and leave a 'beater' in the tank. My latest success with this method has been Cryptoheros nanoluteus.

jonah

5 Year Member
tjudy said:
:D Is that teh HUGE female I brought you at the ACA? She has a history... the guy I got her from said she killed her mate when he had her.

You might have a good idea... think that shipping to Creede right now is worth the risk?
If you're talking about the one I brought up last summer then she didn't kill her mate. He was killed by a loach, that then took after her. She was a bit of a bully with smaller fish though.

Xanathos

5 Year Member
I finaly got the fish ( 2 males and 2 females ) .

They are temporarily housed in a 108 gallons tank and I seem to have a pair formed: 2 of them just hang together without beating each other. I'LL move them in a smaller tank very soon.

Very neat fish

Phil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….