• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peat???

njmomie

5 Year Member
I currently have two cacatuoides (hopefully M and F) and would like to add more but as I said in a previous post, I am having a tough time finding them where I live. As such, I would like to keep them as happy as possible and hopefully breed for me. The Ph from my tap is around 7 and I would like to lower it. I have read that using peat will help in this task. Sorry to sound odd but what exactly is peat??? I am used to years of trying to acquire a higher Ph with africans that this is all new to me. Thanks in advance to all.

Z Man

5 Year Member
A 7pH is just fine. Don't change a thing. Cacatuoides are the perfect Apistogrammma to start out with. The only thing I ever check is water hardness and for these guys, even that's not necessary. The 'peat' you see mentioned is just the common baled peat moss found in garden nurseries. As long as there are not chemicals added and I have never seen that in the stuff from Wal-Mart, K-Mart etc. It takes too much of the peat moss to make a difference and can get very messy if not used correctly.

Randall

5 Year Member
A. cacatuoides

The Big Z-Man is right. Your water parameters sound just fine for breeding A. cacatuoides.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

njmomie,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I too agree! There is an added benefit from using peat in the water though. I have found that the tannins leaching from peat seem to promote a feeling of wellbeing for, at least, blackwater species. This means that fish that come from water that has a natural supply of peat tannins will likely feel more at home and possible will be more health and likely to breed in a similar captive environment. Blackwater extact can be used as a reasonable replacement for peat, if this is the desired effect.
Cacatuoides aren't that picky, though. Keep your water clean and feed them well. You will likely have babies on your hands before you know it.
Neil

L

Leo

Hi!

As said, peat is not neccessarily needed when keeping A.cacatuoides, but it doesn't hurt either. And, actually, peatwater very simple to make. Just buy som unfertilized, natural peat from any gardening store, mix it with warm water in a bucket and let is set for a day or so. If you put the peat into a nailon stocking (it takes a lot of peat, not just a handful) it doesn't soil the water as much, and when pouring it into the aquarium you should try not to pour in the flakes that still will be floating around in the bucket.

This addition of peat water is basically needed at every waterchange, so it can get a bit fussy in the long run, but it's a cheap and simple way instead of buying expensive "peat concentrate". How much peatwater your tank will need to reach the wanted pH of course depends on the size of your tank and the amount and concentration of your peatwater. Basically you have to try it out yourself to find the correct amount/solution.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….